Do you use the word "retard"?

We had a heated discussion last night (the question ended up getting deleted) about the use of the word "retard". A group of us Mom's were trying to explain to another group that the word is offensive and no longer used. The other group of Mom's said we were being uppity and its a perfectly fine word to use. What are your thoughts? Do you use the word "retard" in everyday conversation meaning someone or something that is dumb or stupid?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Looks like I cam home right in time, this is getting ugly. I was out all day doing Christmas returns of gifts with NO RECEIPTS. Talk about wanting to call people names, the day I have had.
    Back to the post. The intention was to see if and when the word "retard" is used. I guess since I am a bit older and work in education it is just shocking to me. That being said- being the total goof that I am, I went through and discarded all the ANON and fighting posts and found it runs about 75% against about 25% say its OK. I find it interesting and higher than I would have thought for people saying its OK.
    I did find it interesting that fat, food stamps, low life and the like are unacceptable even among those that think "retard" is OK. I guess everyone has a line that when crossed freaks them out. I picking this one as best just to close the question, not to give
    myself credit. There were some good ones and some well.....
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think it is cruel, I hate that word..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• yes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• No and I am far from uppity! I used to use it when I was in elem school and I left it there. If I think something or someone is stupid, I say "That's stupid." or "You're a dumbass."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes. The context clearly shows that I'm not referring to special needs people. Same goes for saying "that's gay" when I'm clearly not talking about sex.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's not a part of my vocabulary and I have never used that word.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have used the word in a joking manner but have tried to remove it from my vocabulary. It is not a nice word. My mom was a special education teacher and retard was taboo in our house. We were told to use handicapped or mentally challenged. Maybe that is being too politically correct but why risk hurting someone's feelings?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have a horrible mouth and use meaner and more inappropriate references that "retard" but honestly it's not my favorite to use cause i do feel guilty. I usually just call them a dumb ass...
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 10:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes, well let's not forget to mention that BOTH groups of Mom kept sinking lower and lower as far as personal attacks go. While trying to get the their message through that they people using the derogatory term may be hurting peoples feelings they stopped at nothing to attempt to hurt these women's feelings. I was really hoping that you were not going to bring it up this morning and just let the issue drop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Retard when the way of other words in the PC environment. It was replaced by people first language. Now someone is a "person with mental impairment" or "a person who suffers from blindness". However, retard (retarded) replaced moron, imbicile, and idiot. They were used and accepted medical labels. I think that it is just like any other word. If you use it to insult and hurt, then yes, it is rude and hurtful. If you are discussing a continuous condition, then no. It is just a fact.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2009