What to do when the gift is defective?

DD received a toy stroller from my SIL for Christmas. We live in different states, so she ordered off Walmart.com and had it shipped directly to us. As I was putting it together I realized that one of the parts was assembled (in the factory) incorrectly. I called the company and was told that they don't ship replacement parts on this item and I need to contact the retailer where the toy was bought. I have sent Walmart.com an e-mail (through their cust. service page) and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I don't have a receipt, just a shipment summary, so I don't know if that will be a problem is I need to return it. Just wanted to know if anybody has had to do this before, I'm wondering what should happen next. Thanks.

CaLizzyMom

Asked by CaLizzyMom at 10:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Shopping

• Keep fighting, in a strong but polite manner.

They should fix the problem. Word of mouth is very powerful, it will stop people from buying gifts online and having them shipped to another person...

I am sure they will assist you. Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Take the packing slip and the defective part to the store. e-mailing is not going to get it solved. Walmart is big company and they handle this kind of stuff all the time. Talk to a manager if the customer service person doesn't know what to do. The manager can call a warehouse and get the replacement part shipped OR they can get a whole new stroller sent for you to swap out.

I worked at a Target after Xmas one year in high school in the returns dept. People return all sorts of stuff without a receipt.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thanks for your answers, I just received an e-mail telling me totake what I have to my local store and they should be able to replace the toy. I hope it turns out to be that simple.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Everything went great at the store and they took it back with no problem. We got a gift card so that DD could pick out another doll stroller. Sadly there were none in the store at the time, so we found one online that she likes and we should get it sometime next week.

Just a tip for those who might receive packages from Walmart.com, always keep the packing slip (the one on the outside of the brown paper) because that is what they use to confirm your purchase in place of a receipt. One of the other ladies that was returning stuff didn't have hers and they wouldn't take them. (The associate explained that the internet store holds a different inventory than actual stores, so some of the things that are bought online aren't available at the store.)
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 3:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I would take it back to the store, let them know how it is defective, maybe they can give you a new item or a refund!!
    litninbug
    litninbug

Answer by litninbug at 5:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009