What to do when the gift is defective? (posted in another question)

DD received a toy stroller from my SIL for Christmas. We live in different states, so she ordered off Walmart.com and had it shipped directly to us. As I was putting it together I realized that one of the parts was assembled (in the factory) incorrectly. I called the company and was told that they don't ship replacement parts on this item and I need to contact the retailer where the toy was bought. I have sent Walmart.com an e-mail (through their cust. service page) and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I don't have a receipt, just a shipment summary, so I don't know if that will be a problem if I need to return it. Just wanted to know if anybody has had to do this before, I'm wondering what should happen next. Thanks.

CaLizzyMom

Asked by CaLizzyMom at 10:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• have her contact them with the shipping codes, and order number from her credit cards. we had to do that with a gift from my brother. as long as the one with the credit card and receipt contacts they should send or be able to get you the part you need.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• have you called your local walmart? some stores that will let you exchange items bought online/catalog at your local store. wouldn't hurt to call.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• walmart will take back your stuff without a receipt for 15 days after Christmas... i just took back a bunch of stuff that my twins got for Christmas that they will never use,,, like about 10 things.///// $150.00 they gave me cash.... normal there return policy is only 3 things per year without a receipt but they didnt even ask 4 my license
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thanks for your answers, I just received an e-mail telling me to take it to my local store with all the paperwork I have and they should replace it. I just hope its that simple.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Everything went great at the store and they took it back with no problem. We got a gift card so that DD could pick out another doll stroller. Sadly there were none in the store at the time, so we found one online that she likes and we should get it sometime next week.

Just a tip for those who might receive packages from Walmart.com, always keep the packing slip (the one on the outside of the brown paper) because that is what they use to confirm your purchase in place of a receipt. One of the other ladies that was returning stuff didn't have hers and they wouldn't take them. (The associate explained that the internet store holds a different inventory than actual stores, so some of the things that are bought online aren't available at the store.)
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 3:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2009