Dr's Waiting Rooms

How many of you when you take your child to the ped whether they're sick or not sit in the waiting room to wait for the dr? I realize this may sound like a strange ? but I NEVER wait in the waiting room, I always ask if there is a room available for us to go directly into, in fact my ped was the one who recommended this. @ my dr's office there's the typical 2 sides for the sick/well kids but after watching the sick kids wander into the well side & sneeze & cough all over the toys while mom sits there not saying anything I decided to continue taking dd, 8 mo directly in. No this doesn't mean I get seen faster, it just means that while we wait dd's not being coughed on by 17 different kids. Once she's older & in school I don't think it will matter as much (I'm a SAHM so no daycare for her yet). How many other moms ask to go directly into the room? Now that I've brought it up how many of you plan on doing so?

Nyx7

Asked by Nyx7 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have also wondered if they wipe down the toys, it just seems liks a no brainer.

There is nothing wrong with taking some precausion though, I do understand. My father is a Dr., i have heard the ins & outs of catching a virus. When sickness symptoms begin to show as a result of catching a virus, the virus is no longer contagious. A virus takes about two weeks in our system to start showing sick symptoms such as coughing, runny nose. It's those two weeks before you actually get sick that the virus is contagious. And, there is no way of telling who is carrying what virus when they are not yet showing any sypmtoms. So, like i said, it's nearly impossible to keep anyone away from germs. Aunt Mable might not be showing signs if sickness yet, but she certainly could have H1N1 living in her system. Those sick kids you see at the office are most likely not even contagious anymore, just fighting symptoms of that virus.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I always just sit in the waiting room that is there. We don't even have 2 sides. It's always been fine for us. You can't keep away from germs forever. Your kids will never build up an immunity. Once they go to school they will be sick every day if they never had the chance to fight off germs.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Never had done this and if we all did it there would not be enough rooms LOL

At our old office though I would often tell them we would be outiside or go wait down the hallway. Even if my son was sick I wanted to stay away from anyone there because like you said it always seems the parents of the sick toddlers just let their child wonder around.

I also sanitize our hands when we leave and bring my own pen to sign in with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• seriously...?

you must go to a REALLY fancy dr's office if they have a room to spare so you don't have to expose your little darling to a few germs.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• there isn't enough room at my dr's office. I just try to get the first appt of the morning when he's not running late.

you can't hide them from the germs forever.

just wait til you have more than one kid to try and contend with.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I don't bother doing that. When our kids are in school, they are inviting all kinds of bacteria & virus's into their system DAILY just by being in a place w/ hundreds of kids, many sick ones, as soon as they place their hands on the door knobs to enter the school. You cannot hide your kids from virus's. So, i don't bother trying. She washes her hands constantly, uses germ-x & takes very good care of herself. Besides that, I am not going to put her in a room where i would like to believe has no virus's & bacteria in there, but truth be told.....there was probably a sick kid in there 1/2 hour before you entered the room. You cannot hide your children from germs, it's nearly impossible. All you can do is help them learn & practice good hygiene.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• mompam germs are everywhere yes, but there is a difference between being proacative and putting your child in a bubble.

Avoiding sick children at a pedi's office is just common sense to me. Like washing your hands or sneezing into your elbow. Just because you avoid sick kids there DOES NOT mean your child will have no immunity. That is ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Answer anon 10:51 -Yes I must be a HORRIBLE mother to not want to expose my 8 mo old who's there for a well child visit to a waiting room full of pertussis, H1N1, seasonal flu etc. I understand I can't protect her from all germs, nor do I try-she's @ the stage where everything goes in her mouth. She has been sick a couple of times & I'm glad as this helps her immune system develop. I do go to a dr's office where I wonder if they ever wipe down the toys. Everytime I've gone into the waiting room there are boogers all over the toys attached to the wall. I figure if they don't wipe down the toys they probably don't clean things well at all, like the vynal seats. When she gets older I don't intend to continue taking her straight in, just while she's young. If all the rooms are full we wait in the hallway.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• FUNNY, MY kids doctor has sick appointments early mornings 9-1
    and well appointment in the afternoon 1-5.

I don't blame you, you don't want your kids getting sick.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I only went to a room when dd hadn't had her shots yet. Aside from that, we wait. She's been in day care since 8 weeks. Germs don't bother us at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 30, 2009