Shots

What are my rights when I take my 2 1/2 year old son in for shots? His doctor pushed me into getting an H1N1 shot for my son and I'm pissed. The doctor and her nurse have always been so rude to me.

jilligan362

Asked by jilligan362 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your rights are to refuse anything you do not fully approve of. Your responsibility is to speak up and assert yourself. You do not have to give your son ANY shots or vaccines. You have a right to feel like your doctor is listening to your opinions and concerns and taking the time to address them with you. You have a right to find a new doctor and nurse who you feel more comfortable with. I would recommend taking advantage of all of these rights as your child's mother.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I'm surprised they are pushing it...we have a shortage and they give preference to children and pregnant woman, but not if you don't want it. I'm pregnant now and still on the fence about it. I'm a SAHM so my DD is always with me not in daycare so I think her exposer level is low...I don't really think she needs it...but if my doc said he had a lot of cases I'd probably get it. If you don't like your doc, find a new one. You should never feel discouraged to speak your mind to your doctor.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Your rights are that you can request or deny ANY medical treatment that you are uncomfortable with, religiously opposed to, or that you think is unnecessary/ necessary. A doctor does not have the right to push you into any course of action; the only exceptions I have seen to this rule are when the proposed treatment would definitely save or prolong or improve the life of the patient. Shots do not fall into that category. I would get a new doctor if there is one taking patients.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• it is your right to refuse vaccinations...all of them, i think there is only one state that will prosecute if you don't. You can change doctors. none of my kids have ever had any vaccinations.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Your rights are that you can refuse ANYTHING and that includes ALL the vaccinations not just the H1N1 and if the doctor/staff are rude about it then find a new doctor. The doctor WORKS FOR YOU and therefore needs to respect your decisions as a parent. The doctor is NOT the one who will have to take care of a child who is injured mentally or physically if something were to happen.
    Anonymous