heart murmur?

my daughter went in for her 9 month check up and the found a heart murmur,
they referred her to a children's cardiologist to run some test, etc.

has anyone had these test ran on their child?
what do they do?
treatment, etc?

thanks ladies

amberstevens

Asked by amberstevens at 11:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• THey did an echo on our daughter and just waited to see if it changed.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• all three of mine have a murmur...its quite common you just don't hear it all the time. dh has one too.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• They do an echo and it's easy. Normally they just watch them, no big deal. Alot close on their own, some don't. Either way they usually aren't a big deal
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's extremely common. 99% of the time it's nothing and the child grows out of it. My nephew simply has to take antibiotics before dental work. My friend, who is 32, still has his and same thing, he takes antibiotics before dental work and just listens to his body. But they will do and echo, look for what's causing the murmur and then you go from there. Like I said, she'll more then likely out grow it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My 2 years old also has a heart murmur found at her 2 yrs old check up. Then she saw a cardiologist, they did a EKG and a couple of blood pressure test --- it's a "normal" heart murmur : the cardiologist said he heard that all the time --- especially on slender persons, because the murmur sound can be heard "better" if the person is thin, they did the test just to make sure it's not something complicated. If your daughter is on the thin side just like mine, probably nothing to worry about....
    truneemom

Answer by truneemom at 11:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My daughter had an EKG and another test (I think it was an ultrasound of her heart?). Very non invasive - they let her watch a video (Cinderella) while they were doing it. Nothing ever came of it, she eventually outgrew it.

Answer by missanc at 12:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I wouldnt worry more than likely it is innocent, especially since she is 9 months and growing and thriving. My daugther had a heart murmur diagnosed at 2 days old and went into heart failure at 10 days old but if your little one is growing well then it cant be too serious. THey will do an EEG and echo to see what is causing the murmur. If they diagnos a hole majority of them close on their own and they will monitor it.
    morrisonkm9

Answer by morrisonkm9 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My 5 year old was born with VSD. That's when there is a hole between the ventricles of the heart. His was tiny and it closed on his own by his 1 year birthday. With my daughter they had me go to a pediatric cardiologist for a fetal echo/ultrasound to check her heart while I was still pregnant and there was no hole. But many members of my extended family have VSD and either outgrew it or still have it with no complications.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2009