Chest congestion... help?

My 15 month old has had chest congestion and a cough for the last 4-6 days. It just sounds like a normal cough to me, like he is clearing his air ways... but he will sort of gasp breathe and then cough kinda forcefully. Then he his fine for probably 30 minutes. I can hear the congestion and raspyness in his chest. Should I contact his doctor or is it just a chest cold?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Always contact the doctor. You never know if it could be something more serious. Besides, my boss thought she just had a chest cold and went to the doctor. She had pneumonia.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It won't hurt to ask the doctor the same question you just asked here!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I would definitely get that checked out.. Never know when it's bronchitis or worse. The doc may even want to give him a breathing treatment. My ds has his own nebulizer here and he uses Xoponex (instead of Albuterol) and Pulmicort. Works like a charm.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• thanks! i made him an appointment... first one in the morning. my family has a history of asthma, too, so I would rather take him in than him getting worse.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I would definately take him to the doctor. In the mean time, elevate his head while he sleeps and run a vaporizer while he sleeps. It will help with the congestion. Keep his room cooler while he is sleeping. That really helps me sleep and I suffer from asthma.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's always best to get it checked out if you're not sure...My sons 3 now,and he's been on nebulizer treatments and oral medication since he was about a year old for asthma :( This is a bad time of the year with the weather getting colder,and the little changes in the weather for little ones to get sick! One thing that helps with my son is running a vaporizer in his bedroom,then also rubbing a little bit of the vicks BABYRUB on the bottoms of his feet and putting socks on at bedtime (i know it sounds funny but it really does seem to help!) If he gets too congested you can set in the bathroom with him and let the shower run super hot so he breaths in the steam. Good Luck!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2009