Did you ever have to stand in the corner as a punishment?

Gosh that was the most embarrassing thing ever. I used to have to do it during dinner if I didn't eat my food. I remember one time I had to do it for nearly an hour. Sucks.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes I did. and I used that punishment with my DD's as well. I think it works better then that TIMEOUT thing peole made up.

Answer by louise2 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Wow, that's just cruel in my opinion. It sounds degrading, humiliating and seems like it would lower self esteem. I don't think I could do that to someone

Answer by admckenzie at 12:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes I did and it works and I feel it is way better than a spanking. There were many times I owuld have rather had the corner than the spanking, lol. I try that with my kids and it seems to work with them too.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Uh Louise.... standing in the corner is the same idea as timeout, lol. Only difference is your in a corner. = ) I call it timeout when they are in a corner actually because it is time away from the rest of us, they can't focus on what is going on around them instead of taking the time out and it gets the point across.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes, I did. I remember I used to stick my tongue out at whoever stuck me in the corner, while I was standing in the corner...LOL
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 12:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I don't remember ever being put in the corner but my kids get put there for time out. And they have to stand facing the corner with their noses and toes touching the wall and their hands at their sides. If they start whining I restart the timer and we do the normal 1 minute per age thing.
    We tried the other kind of time out with a chair and I didn't see a point to it. They could still watch TV and play with their siblings so it was never much of a punishment, more like a game to annoy me. They HATE being put in the corner. My oldest would rather be grounded to her room for the entire day then spend 9 minutes in the corner.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think standing in the corner was pretty much the original time out...an alternative to spanking. Any punishment can be done in a humiliating way, mostly based on the intention of the person doing the punishment. I never personally had to stand in the corner, as I was more likely to get yelled at or smacked. Overall, the atmosphere in my house growing up was not humiliating or degrading and I hope my kids can say the same!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Nope. my mom would just yell at me and send me to my room
    Anonymous

• Yes I used to have to stand in the corner sometimes for hours. And have used to for my own children and even on occasion my grandchildren but only used one minute for each year they are old. That was enough time.
    Anonymous

• Only an hour? LOL....you got off lucky girl! We always hoped for the corner instead of the belt or having to sleep on the dirt floor in the basement. We had to keep our hands behind our backs, legs straight, and no part of the body could touch the wall. We got to know our corners quite well.
    On the other hand, if I was in one corner and one of my brothers was in the other corner and our step-father went outdoors to work, then we would take a break by sitting down and whispering to each other. Our mom never scolded us for this because she didn't like the way he punished us, but I think she was just as abused as we were.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2009