How difficult is it to get a divorce when you are in the military?

My husband is a former Marine and I am currently serving in the Army Reserves. Is it easier or more difficult to get divorced when you are in the military?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• State laws vary...it all depends on the state where you will be getting the divorce. Also, different situations regarding children and property...generally how much there is to fight about. If both parties agree on things, it can go fairly quickly! But exactly how quickly varies from state to state.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't think it would be any different. Divorces go by state law where you are stationed. Divorces are a civil matter and the military doesn't like getting involved.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• OP-Well I am asking because my husband was able to get divorced within 3 months from his ex wife while he was in the military. And its taken a friend of mine 2 years who is a civilian.
    Anonymous

• My exdh was in the Army. Our divorce was pretty easy since we pretty much wrote it up ourselves, divided up the property, had no debt, did joint legal custody for our ds, figured our the amount of child support and everything else and took it to an attorney to review and type up and file.
    Where the wait came was waiting around for the judge to sign it... He went on vacation for 3 weeks, then he was backlogged with cases to hear, and blah blah blah... We filed it at the first of Aug.. It wasnt signed and final until the END of January...

Now, if the military member is deployed.. That is another can of worms...
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009