Should we continue to use grandma for childcare or send 1yr old to daycare?

I work full time and the hubby is a full time student. My Mom watches my son currently and charges $84 every five days. She also watches the lil one when the husband I a go off for military training. Should we continue to do this or place my son in daycare? We are worried about daycare cost and events that require us to leave for training. Is my son really missing much staying at grandma's?

mckinzy

Asked by mckinzy at 12:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that at 1 he is still ok at Grandma's...it will save you money and seems like it has the flexibility. The benefits of daycare/preschool, IMO, are more when the child is a bit older. My kids have been in daycare/preschool part time since they were babies and we've had great experiences, they love it, they have friends, field trips, awesome crafts, parties, and they learn so much there...etc...but they really don't enjoy that kind of thing until they are 2-3. I'd save the money for another year if I were you and had the option.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Does your mom resent doing it, or does she have health problems that make this difficult for her? Does it cause a problem, where she doesn't care for your ds in the way that you and your dh want? If none of these things are a problem, then frankly, I would leave things the way they are.

My mil provided child care for my niece for awhile. It was a wonderful, beautiful thing for all involved. It's not that your little one is missing out - you have the best of both worlds. You get the income and education stuff and everything, but at the same time, you get the benefits of having your child cared for, in a home environment, by a family member that you love and trust, and who loves your child and you. It's a win situation all around, as long as you and your mom and your husband are happy with it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• You're not missing too much. But consider what grandma is teaching? Does she do crafts, coloring, playdough, songs, stories, etc? If so, I'm sure he's fine with grandma. If not, you might consider day care for the educational and social aspect. It doesn't have to be now either or full time. Maybe a few days a week to give grandma a break? Maybe start at 2? There are plenty of options.
    Anonymous

• Stay with Grandma, I can see at 3 or even 4 but as long as Grandma is able and willing to be there. Let her.

It stinks having to drop off a baby at day care... I know I had too.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I worked in daycare, keep him at Grandma's.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Could you let him go to a mother's day out program once or twice a week? I wouldn't worry too much, more around 3 years old so he can go to preschool!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• AT one year old, I think it is great for him to be at Grandma's. Maybe once he turns around 3 or so you could get him into a preschool a couple of mornings a week...or daycare fulltime. At one, though....Grandma's is a great place for him to be!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• IMO grandma is the next best to mommy! Keep your son at your mom's. No daycare provider could love your child as much as grandma does.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Grandma is the next best thing to being home with you all day, so I say stay with her. Dont let people make you think your child wont be socialized if not in daycare. Im a SAHM and my children are just as socialized as those in daycare.
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 1:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If you are worried about some of the educational components of day care as opposed to being with Grandma- I would not put too much into that. You can send your child to pre-school a few hour a day for a few days a week just before Kindergarten. If that is not an option just read to him as much as you can. We find that yes, children who went to pre-school/daycare are slightly ahead when we get them in Kindergarten BUT the advantage quickly diminishes by first grade. The BEST way to have your child ready for school is to read to them, help them learn to wonder about things and socialization. Socialization can be a music class, a playgroup, a church class, even just time on the playground. Sounds like Grandma is the perfect fit for you guys- you are lucky to have her!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2009