Would you recommend using the product, TurboTax instead of going to H&R Block for taxes?

Mark and I have never used TurboTax before, but we're trying to avoid all the fees that come with going to H&R Block. Does the program make it easy for a first timer to understand? Does it do direct deposit?

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 12:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would really recommend turbo tax, i was doing my taxes the past years with Hr block and they were charging me so much over $200.00 for my tax return so i took my taxes to an accountant and he reviewed my tax returns from previous years and found that Hr block had shorted me about $900.00 the accountant made an adjustment on my tax return and got my money, that was the last time i used Hr block now i use turbo tax they give you step by step instructions and if you are not sure you could always take them to an accountant and they charge way less the Hr block i know we use Hr block to get the money faster but honestly we are tossing money in the trash paying all this fees, Good Luck
    Ezbeauty

Answer by Ezbeauty at 2:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I wouldnt know about Turbo tax. Yet a few years ago, my friend always using that ended up not getting her tax return for six months. I would rather go to H & R block so if there is an audit or whatever I have peace of mind.
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 12:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My dh and I have filed our taxes with tax software for years - I'm pretty sure it's turbo tax that we use, but honestly, I can't remember and don't feel like going and digging the old stuff out of the files to check for sure.

Now, depending on how complicated your taxes are (do you have a lot of tax shelters set up, a lot of stocks, dipped into 401k's, etc), it could get more complicated, but it's not that hard to use. We have some different tax stuff, tax free stuff, combat pay stuff, etc, and we don't have any issues using it. It explains itself as you go along.

Also, we get our returns direct deposited with it all the time, even when we've moved to other duty stations since the last time we've filed.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It is very easy to use. They walk you through each step and give you time to proof read everything. We have used it every year. If you file early and electronically w/ direct deposit your return will be faster. We get ours in about 4 weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I went to H&R block for a few years, but one year I had to tell the person what to do. It was then that I decided to start doing it myself. H&R Block does have a self-service tax prep online and I used that, but it was still a little too high. Last year, I found TaxAct. They are simple to use and very reasonable. ($17.95 for state and federal) http://www.taxact.com/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Absolutely. Turbotax is more affordable, has a better system, and has a GREAT program for deducting donations. It finds deductions better than H&R too. I used to use H&R, but started getting consistently better returns with TurboTax. If you are looking for the best value, TaxAct is the most affordable way to get your taxes done.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 12:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• We have used turbo tax...it is not hard at all! Of course the more complicated your situation is, the more difficult...but it is not hard!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• We use Turbo Tax every year and haven't had any problems.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have used TurboTax, it is very easy to do, it walks you through each step and even suggest things you may have missed.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• We use a Tax Attorney. But as for your other question, I know people who have used TurboTax and H&R Block. Ive heard mixed reviews on both. I think it comes down to personal preference.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009