Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can you do with an Original Birth Cert

I have a child who came to me at birth through adoption and I dont have her original birth certificate, her bmom does. (It was mailed to her house)

The bmom has a history of problems involving fraud and a problem with illegal substances.

Can the bmom use this bcert for anything that I need to be concerned about? One of her legal issues in the past involved using someone else's identity. When the new Birth Certificate is issued, is the old one "formally" pulled from the records? While I hope she would never do something like that, I worry about the addiction getting the better of her.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (6)
  • They aren't going to be able to pull it or anything, and yes, it could be used. BUT - if you legally change the child's name, and if she doesn't have the social security information or anything, then it won't be as big a problem.

    BUT - because this is such a serious issue, frankly, I would talk to the lawyer or agency that handled the adoption to make absolute sure what she might or might not be able to do with it.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • I have adopted children and have copies of their original BC's as well as their new ones. I hope you applied for a Social Security card as soon as you were able.  If NOT and If the Birth mom applied for one in the hospital then you will need to go to the SS office and show proff of the adoption, bring along the kid(s) new B.C. your photo ID. It is best to call and get an appointment if you can.  SS does NOT like to change SS numbers so don't ask, I tried but had no luck. If the B.M. tries to use a SS # it will not come up as active to the name she gave the child. I was told by the SS office that the Bparents nor anyone else can get a copy of the SS card nor the name associated with it from them. I hope I helped and was able to do so in a clear manner lol.


    Answer by momof6at46 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • I'm a bit naive, so I don't know what a person could actually do with that document. It must be a concern, or there wouldn't be laws in place that my kids cannot request their OBCs until they turn 18, and nobody else can request them. The SS office sent my DD's SS card to her bmom. Good thing she is honest and sent it to me.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • Greetings, If I am understanding your 'plight' should have NO worries. The First Mother is usually the only one allowed the OBC. If you adopted her from newborn, you already have the only BC, that is of importance to you. The BC., that states you are the mother and Birthed you child, is the ONLY one, that makes any difference. Happy New Year, C.J.

    Answer by ceejay1 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • OP here: I found out some info if anyone is interested. The SS admin office takes extra steps with an adoption and where normally you can go right in and get a SS card, with a domestic adoption, they send away to prove that the BC that you have is the most current BC. That is how they will make sure they are only issuing a SS card once.

    Thanks everyone!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • If she already has a SSN, insist that she is issued a new one. They will not want to do it, but explain that you are concerned for her safety and if they don't you will hold them personally responsible if anything happens to her.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.