Have you seen the Catholic Church's new ad campaign?

They are advertising to bring back members.

Do you believe their message that the faith is embracing to all? And why do you think the Catholic faith has lost so many members?

Here is a link to the ad, its the second video that play on the homepage
http://www.catholicscomehome.org/#

SRiveroC

Asked by SRiveroC at 1:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There's an entire website devoted to lame church ads: http://www.churchmarketingsucks.com/

(the monster truck radio ad for the Epsicopalian church is especially painful/funny)

But aside that, there's Scientology, LDS, and the oh so ironic United Church of Christ ad which ignores the fact that the UCC is so fractured, different segments of it hate each other, let alone everyone else.  My friend's mom goes to a UCC and is one of those people who pass around the Obama is the Anti-Christ chain mails (nevermind Obama is/was a UCC member too).  The people she trades those emails with are primarily other church members.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• They lost members due to all the child molestation charges.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Besides, other churches do the exact same thing. Why single out the Catholic Church?

Other churches run prime-time television ads? Which ones?

I think you are being overly defensive. They are questions not accusations so dont get all worked up.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• The church of latter day saints runs commercials ALL the time here.

I was raised catholic and it's been my experience that acceptance varies widely from parish to parish. Some are very strict and won't baptize a baby if either parent is non-practicing. Then there's my sister's church which happily baptized all three of her children with her wife. And yes, they are both completely out of the closet within their church.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If you are talking about the campaign in Illinois called bringing them home, no I have not heard of it. I heard of it and I wonder why this campaign is only in 8 diocese in the United States.

However, I will have to agree with the above posters, many other churches have campaigns to bring in members why single out the Catholic Church?
    Anonymous

• First of all, I think Mormons run ads.

I was thinking the mormon church as well. I would much rather see a Morman add on television than have their missionaries knock on my door. I have no problem with anyone putting their message on a paid advertisement.
    Anonymous

• 07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 by: TMJ121099
    They lost members due to all the child molestation charges.

That actually isn't true. The Catholic Church numbers has stayed pretty stable in the last decades or so. This campaign is targeted towards Catholics who have strayed from the faith.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm... wasn't getting all worked up, but thanks for trying to get inside my head and telling me how I feel... doc. LOL

Thats the worked up I was talking about. Thanks for your non-contributions.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• anime_mom619, I went to Catholic schools, raised my kids Catholic and didn't really understand the teachings. I think many Catholics were not taught what it means to be Catholic or the full reason behind many church laws. I have started teaching my children and making sure I they understand not just the rules but the reason behind the rules.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Have you seen the Catholic Church's new ad campaign? No, but I will go l ook now

Do you believe their message that the faith is embracing to all? I actaully do. A good friend of mine is gay, the priest and sisters know this and he is welcome at Church. There might be someone who will shun another person, but that is not the teachings of the church. Just remember, every person in the church is human and subject to human error. And why do you think the Catholic faith has lost so many members? I am going to look up the stats, I don't think there has been a great loss of number but more a loss of people who quit attending church.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009