am i being to harsh?

heathir is almost 15 months. she has all molars coming in and is also in a toddler bed and half way potty trained. she takes her sippy cup most of the day except at nap time and bed time then she wants a bottle. i tried giving her a sippy cup which only occassionally works...i would really like her off the bottle completly so the last couple days i have completly taking away given her a sippy and let her cry her self to sleep(wheich takes anywhere from 10min-45min)/ is this to harsh or is there another way to go about this? i just feel like im being very mean although she is starting to go to bed quicker with out it now. but i still wonder am i doin the right thing? she has been off a pasifier since 8 months. i have also tried giving her a stuffed animal in place so i know it is a security issue

rellcinko

Asked by rellcinko at 1:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO you're doing the right thing.
    Anonymous

• i think you are doing the right thing.... its the same thing i did with my son, and he was even older(ugh) it took a few days and then he was over it...pretty much forgot about it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't let her cry for 45 minutes! Maybe a bottle with water to let the comfort factor soak in---I guess I wouldn't be to concerned with this issue , she sounds like she is doing good in all other departments, getting teeth hurt, and perhaps when she is done cutting her molars you could try again? Good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Now you're committed. Once you start, you have to see it through..especially at this age. If you give in now, the next time you try to get her off the bottle, it'll be even harder. You're doing the right thing. She'll figure out another way to self soothe.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• In my opinion you have no choice but to follow through because if you give in, it will only backfire you and prolong the inevitable. She has to give up the bottle and or sippy cup at some point.

When we put our son on his own room at 1 age, he cried the first night for 45 minutes, second night 10 minutes, third night, 3 minutes and by the fourth night, he was fine, he went to bed no problems. He has since slept on his own room. So it is hard at the beginning but if you have the stomach to hear your child cry a little bit, it will pay off. And in th elong run you both will be better of.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• NOT TOO HARSH At all!! I did this with my son though so of course I think its OK!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009