are there any Christian alcoholics on here?

Do you find this time of the year to be very difficult? Are you leaning on God a lot. Everyone is drinking and being merry and I am a perfect DD :(

I just filled up a champagne glass with diet coke so I can use the pretty glasses everyone else has.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• how do you handle tomorrow?
    Anonymous

• im not christian or an alcoholic but most of my family is both Christians and alcoholics, they all still drink though, its a shame...i do have one aunt that no longer drinks, and she has always told me this time of year is the hardest on her and she turns to her god more...she chooses to stay home with family for new years eve instead of going out with friends, she doesn't like being the DD.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My advice to you would be to not be around the temptation. Stop hanging out with people who drink. Stop romanticizing alcohol by putting soda in a fancy cup. You need to be afraid. Don't get confident, because when you think you are strong you can fall.

It is the same with any temptation. If you are on a diet, don't go to a donut shop. If you have a problem with sexual addiction, you don't go to a strip club and try and close your eyes. You have to run from it.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I agree with cinnamon-mom. You shouldn't be around it if it bothers you. I am not Christian, but I am a recovering alcoholic with 7 years sober. I am perfectly happy in my sobriety, but I'm still not arrogant enough to think that hanging around people who are boozing is in any way good for my sobriety. It doesn't bother me to go to a restaurant and see people at the bar having a drink, but I do not go out socializing with friends who are going to be drinking. It definitely sounds to me like your sobriety could be in danger. Please get some help through a recovery program of some sort. If you did, you'd already know what a bad idea this is for you.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Cinnamon-mom. I'm not a Christian and I don't drink at all, because I have alcoholics all through my family. I can't stand to be around them when they're drinking, which is one reason I tend to hold family parties at my house instead of going to theirs. They probably see me as boring or whatever, but I just can't stand to be around it. You don't have to drink to have a good time, or put it in a fancy glass to pretend it's something more exciting.
    Anonymous

• While I am Christian and have curtailed all the bar hopping and partying with drinking going on... I am not sure what is wrong with having a diet coke in a wine glass! I do it with juice and tea sometimes! Just because I like my stem-ware and want to still use it! To each his/her own!
    My advise is to cling to the LORD in all things for that is where you will find your courage and strength. I will pray you choose to do the right thing for you... because it is none of us that will have to live with it ... but you will! Pray without ceasing... just converse with the LORD and have HIM help in selecting the path for your feet when you are unsure.
    If you think you would be tempted in the least to take a drink... don't go to the party! IF your friends are in need of a DD maybe you could drop them off and pick them up! Staying and being in a familiar atmosphere of partying might not be a wise choice.
    God bless and grace w/ you!
    LoveWiseCouncel

Answer by LoveWiseCouncel at 6:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• "While I am Christian and have curtailed all the bar hopping and partying with drinking going on... I am not sure what is wrong with having a diet coke in a wine glass! I do it with juice and tea sometimes! Just because I like my stem-ware and want to still use it! To each his/her own!"

With all due respect, you are not an alcoholic, so you probably don't understand the danger in that. It's "pretend" drinking. Of course for someone who is not struggling with a drinking problem, it's no big deal to drink out of whatever glass you want. For an alcoholic trying to stay sober, it's a dangerous flirtation.
    Anonymous

• I feel that I am probably a more devout Christians than the people that go to church every Sunday. I hate to say it but the Church is greedy. have since I was a Teenager devoted my Life to the church & they all told me when I was Ill I couldnt quit because of my tithe. I do like to Drink & You could call me an alchololic but I dont drive when I am drinking & only do it in the Privacy of my home. I still believe in doing alot for others in need & have really proven to others to be a very compassionate & Loving Person when they are in need.
    Anonymous

• uhm anon:32 what was your point? How did you answer the question?
    Anonymous

• well, you can have a drink. Jesus turned the water into wine at the wedding and clearly had no problem with those people celebrating with it. The bible only forbids drunkenness and warns us to have self control. So have one drink in a pretty glass and then put the glass away.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2009