Does this offend you? (SO sorta)

Lets say you are in a store and your children are acting like monsters. As one of them runs towards me (and I know they are trying to escape you) I will stand in their way and when they stop in front of me I will tell them "you better listen to your mommy". I have done this numerous times. I do not touch the children, except one time a toddler was making a bee line for the exit and I just walked in. I saw him comming and asked do you want me to grab him, mom said yes, so I did. Other than that, I do not physically restrain the children. I will put my cart or myself in their path. And I speak to them in a nice voice. Well a friend of mine said that would piss her off, if a sdtranger told her kids that. I honestly would be thankful someone understands and is on my side. What do you think?

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 2:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• It would depend on who was saying it, if it were a mom I wouldn't have a problem, a man would not.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I guess if you did it with a smile at them and at me, kind of like "I know what you're going through mama!" But if you said it in a mean way and gave me the judgemental mom look like "Control your kid." Then I would be pissed.
    Anonymous

• Nope it doesn't make me mad at all, the only thing that ever made me mad was when DS escaped from me,,,and a lady told me to watch him better--LOL, she should try to watch him! I think your a mom looking out for other moms!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Anon 2:14 Im totally not judgemental about it. I do give the mom the "I know what ur going thru" look as well. I would never give the control ur kids look. LOL I have 4. And most of the time I have their friends or my nieces or nephew too. I know how hecktic it can get.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• no it wouldnt offend me!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• The comic Anjelah Johnson does a skit on this...."Go tell your mom I spank you, go on tell her!" Um no, i would not be offended if my child were running amok and some one spoke to them I like the idea of saying that you had better listen to you mommy.....
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• As the mom of a special needs child and a toddler I would thank you! I have also blocked a child or two, sometimes moms just need a helping hand!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Offend me! Oh hell no! I would be so thankful for your help!!! I've done it before, when a mom/dad just looks so overwhelmed and I've heard her/him holler at the kid(s) many times. Sometimes it really DOES "take a village".
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 2:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• once when i was about 8 months prego this 10-12 yr old ran into me...in walmart...i grabbed his wrist and said "DO NOT RUN IN THE STORE"...he looked scarred to death..and he slowly walked away.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• lol to pp's. As long as it was done in a nice & helpful way nope I wouldn't mind, if it was one of the b*&^% who think they know everything & it was mean then I'd tell her to leave my child alone. I've hearded my fair share of kids away from dangerous things while shopping usually to a very grateful mom. I always figure their kids & that's part of being a kid, why get mad @ them?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2009