amniotic fluid level low...help please

my amniotic fluid level is a 3.9..idk what it is suppose to be but i know it's not good. so i'm getting induced in the mornin!! yay. but does anyone know if the amniotic fluid bein so low could cause any problems??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your fluid ia a bit low but not hugely so and should not be a reason for induction unless you have other things wrong with your and or baby.
    You can get more fluid by making sure YOU are well well hydrated. Normal is about 5. Did they measure all the fluid pockets around your baby? There can be hidden pockets of fluid that can be missed when taking measurements via Ultrasound.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Are you full term? Even if not it will probably be okay, but if you are not full term ask about an infusion, good luck momma, my SIL is going through the same thing, she is 30 weeks pregnant! They gave an infusion and put her on bed rest with daily doctor visits!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• im 37 weeks and also have high blood pressure
    Anonymous

• Normal amniotic fluid levels are 8 to 18, not 5! My doctor told me anything under an 8 is concerning, and anything under 5 is worth talking about delivery. I had a level of about a 4 at 39 weeks and they delivered my son 2 days later. It basically gives the baby no room to move around in there, and less to get nutrition from. I think it is probably time to get your baby out!
    Anonymous

• Baby's don't get nutrition from the fluid, it comes from the umbilical cord, placenta, mom.
    A 5 AFI score or lower is the risky levels, so this is low.
    But you might consider self-hydration, or an IV, some moms will do an infusion (not sure if I would).
    Sometimes this is an error on the part of the U/S tech or the readings were only looking at a particular pocket where it was lower. Or mom is dehydrated, has other health complications, is leaking, or there is a concern with placenta, baby's kidneys, etc.
    Moms will replenish the fluid every few hours so DRINK a lot of water, and good luck!!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Checked back on you, yes your going to be fine, have a happy baby, and hope it sleeps through the night!!! No worries mommie you will be in all of our prayers!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• 13 years ago my 1st was induced about a month early because of low fluid (and other medical problems). I was monitored the whole labor and at times the baby's heartbeat dropped significantly because of the low fluid. They actually broke my water and used like an IV to replace/increase my fluid so the baby could tolerate the delivery better. She is now a very healthy and very active teenager. Good luck in the morning. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2009