If you were jobless would you charge your property taxes?

If your family faced hardships. Unexpected jobloss from a job of 24 years. You were jobless all year. Would you not pay your property taxes or charge them on your credit card? Please kind replies. We're good honest people that always pay our bills. But ever since the new millenium arrived we've had nothing but pure hardships in our marriage. So I'm looking for good replies. Please! As always thank you for replying.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 2:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you can pay your credit card bills I would so I wouldn't be homeless on top of jobless. Good Luck Sweetie
    Anonymous

• Do what you have to do to keep a roof over your head. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if where you live is a big or small city, but I come from a small town and I know the treasurer- sometimes he will work with people to start a payment plan for their taxes. It might be worth looking into, just call and see if they will help you out. Otherwise, I would pay them on the credit card if you can, or maybe try to use money from your tax return if you get a refund. Good Luck to you. I hope 2010 is a better year. We have had tough financial times this past year so I know how rough it can be. Hang in there and hope for things to turn around.
    Anonymous

• Contact the city for payment plans.
    Anonymous

• Pay what you can on the taxes and save the credit cards - they are pretty accommodating right now, as much as they can be, at least. As long as you're paying something it looks better than paying nothing, and usually you have to be a year or more behind before you go to tax sale (which puts a lien on the property, it doesn't take it away from you). In the long run, you are better off leaving the room on the credit cards for more urgent emergencies. The penalty on the late property taxes isn't very likely to be higher than the interest rate on the credit cards anyway, and it would only apply to the portion paid late and only assess once. Depending how long you're out of work, you could end up paying several years of interest on the charged amount (not to mention the risk of them raising the rate or lowering the credit limit to below what's on it).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Tough call can't answer since I have never been there. My husband lost his job 10 months ago and we have been able to pay our taxes because we have a substantial savings account and other investment accounts. He starts a new job with better pay and hours in a few weeks and we have been fine. I would suggest when you do get back on your feet start saving for a rainy day and cut out unecessary expenses. I know many like us who have lost jobs but are fine because they were savers.
    Anonymous

• Nope. There is assistance available. Start with a local social services agency.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2009