He was a jerk because he quit smoking..

My boyfriend quit smoking for 2 months, and that entire time it seemed like he was a completely different person.. but for the worse. he would pick a fight over anything and everything. and there were a couple times where it got so bad that we almost broke up. just recently he started smoking again, and it's like he's a new man. he's so happy all the time and his mood is just completely different. i feel terrible saying i like him better when he smokes, because i would love if he quits for good. i just hate the person he becomes when he quits. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Let him smoke... it's his choice.
    Anonymous

• well too much irritation & negative feelings can shorten ones life anyway, so it may not make a difference if he smokes or not.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• he will eventually get over those angry emotions once the nicotine is out of his system... it takes a LONG time but he can get over it... i guess figure out which is more important.. or which would end your relationship! Good luck
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My So and I tried to quit together and it was a disaster. Lack of nicotine turned my sweet, gentle, loving man into a complete tyrant and we almost broke up because I wasn't any better. We gave in to the nicotine craving after three days and decided that the next time that we try to quit, we will make a pact that anything said during the first month when we are trying to quit will be forgiven.

We plan on trying again in February when we move to our new place. But so that we won't be at one another's throat, I have started tapering off now. (But I haven't told him because that will only make him buy more cigarettes for me).

Perhaps you can talk to your boyfriend about what was going on when he tried to quit and that you and he will make a pact to forgive all arguments for a certain period of time. Perhaps you and he can have a code word when you notice that he is getting out of hand and not himself. Good luck!
    donzgurl

Answer by donzgurl at 6:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009