Has anybody had diabetic acidosis??

My mom was admitted into the hospital this afternoon, her sugar was over 400 and they just found out she has diabetic acidosis. Has anybody on here had diabetic acidosis before?

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 2:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Health

• Diabetic ketoacidosis also know as DKA. Did your mom know she was a diabetic, or did this just happen? DKA happens when the blood sugars get very high and the body starts breaking down fat cells as a source of energy. It is caused by inaduqate insulin. It is common in type 1 but can happen in type 2 also. They will give her fluids to rehydrate her and start her on an insulin drip to bring her levels down.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes, she knew that she was a diabetic. It just happened this Afternoon, they moved her to ICU.\
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 3:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I know it can be scary, but that is where most people go with DKA, they need to be monitored closely and that cant be done on a regular floor most of the time. Because of the insulin drip, her levels will be checks every 5 to 15 minutes at first and then spaced out as the levels drop. Look up DKA and write down the warning signs to help prevent this in the future. It will also help you understand what is going on and what to expect.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Okay, Thanks for the information!!! I'm just worried because this is the 2nd time she has been hospitalized in 2months.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 3:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I only had DKA once which is when I was 11 and was diagnosed with diabetes. Not to scare you but its definitely not something to mess with and over a short period of time of being in DKA it can do much harm to your organs and nerves. For the sake of your mom and her health maybe you could educate yourself about diabetes and go to diabetes classes with her. Maybe with your support and good education she will realize all the risk shes taking by not taking care of her diabetes. Maybe after she gets out of the hospital you could call her 2 to 3 x a day and ask her what her blood sugars are and if she has been taking her medicine and eating healthy low carb foods. I dont know if this is something you would want to do but my little brother which is 23 a year younger then me is type one diabetic as well and in the beginning I had to stay on top of him about checking his blood sugars and taking his proper amount of insulin. Cont..
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 3:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• In time it paid off me bugging him about it and yes he would get annoyed with me but he now takes very good care of his diabetes. I hope your mom has a good recovery and never goes back into DKA. Maybe with your support and understanding of diabetes it will help her manage it better. How long has she been diabetic and does she take pills or shots if you dont mind me asking?
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 3:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• She has been a diabetic for 2 years and she takes 2 shots a day. She's still in the ICU, so I'm going to go see her. I live an hour & half from the hospital.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 9:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2009