I want to quit smoking!!!

My new year's resolution is going to be to quit smoking. I know it will be hard, and I will be miserable. That's why I want to get all the info i can to prepare myself. Any advice?? How to make it easier?? Tips??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• just stop and busy yourself with something when the thought comes to mind try chewing gum or go to places were you can't smoke at, hang out with your kids more anything, kudos to you
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• We have a stop smoking program in AR that will give you free nicorrete gum or patches if you call them. Google them to see if you can find a simalar program in your state.
    Anonymous

• I quit! I had to be around people who didn't smoke, it was really hard when my boyfriend was home from work because he smokes and I could smell it and I knew he was outside doing it. It was only hard for the first month and now it's been 3 months and I am just fine without it! You can do it!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 2:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• no amount of patches or gum or anything else will work unless you are committed to quitting for real. And if you are committed to quitting you won't need any of that stuff anyway all it takes is will power, yes it is hard, and yes you will crave that cigarette every once in a while but it is so worth it I have been smoke free for almost 1 year! You can do it!
    Anonymous

• the first time i quit i used Chantix.. its a prescription from your dr.. it really does work.. but it seemed to make me depressed.. i quit smoking for 6 months.. I was only on chantix for 3 months.. I started up again though..
    This time wasmuch easier.. because im pregnant! lol.. i quit no problem.. im assuming you dont want to get pregnant? LOL...try chewing gum, mints,, ect... you could always buy those patches (never worked for me) or the gum or lozenges.. those seemed to help me some.. you will at least still get some nicotine so you dont insane!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• WILLPOWER!!! I quit cold turkey and haven't had a cigarette in two months. I hardly miss it. I know cold turkey isn't for everyone but when you decide to quit, I think it is all mind over matter. Just tell yourself, I am not going to smoke, I don't need it. I think part of the reason I quit so easy was because my chest was starting to hurt and i kept thinking, "What if I died tomorrow?" I was thinking about my kids.
    Anonymous

• I quit 2 years a month and some days ago ( see my ticker on my profile) I believe cold tukey is the best , you have to make up your mind and gut it out . 2-4 days and all the nicotine is out of your system then the phisical symptoms start to subside , Then it is all mental , Keep focused on the postives of quitting, BREATH deep, drink water , walk , and rest and sleep . Try to make that first week a time where you can take it easy you will need to stop and redirect your mind and body often for the first week or so YOU have to want to quit more than that smoke. Your body starts to heal imediatly , IN 72 hours for example your heart attack risk decreases , bottom line YOU CAN Do it It will be very hard but knowing that going in is important I smoked for more than 20 years, I am 2years as an ex smoker and I do not crave one anymore but I know 1 smoke would start the addiction all over
    freedomthinks

Answer by freedomthinks at 3:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My Hubby and I quit over a year ago but it was cold turkey.. No patches, gum etc.. My Hubby thought the lozenges would work but when he finally quit those he lost the craving for nicotine. The first 2 weeks it was tough but once I got through that I just kept telling myself that I'm doing something good for me and for our children. They love it that we quit, our home smells nice all the time and it's the best thing we ever did. You can do it, and remember you're doing something very unselfish because it will have so many benefits, for you and everyone around you!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• http://www.quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx
    this site looks differently than it did 2 years ago but it did have alot of great info
    freedomthinks

Answer by freedomthinks at 3:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Tomorrow will be 3 years for me. You can do it, but you have to really want to make that commitment and follow through. Now if you know you are really hooked on the nicotine, get the gum or patch too. Other than that, get regular gum and mints and have those for when you get that fidgety feeling. And at those times when ya wanna step out for a smoke get a big glass of water(instead of something unhealthy) and then go for a walk or play a game with your child(ren.) It's all about reconditioning the way you think and rearranging your time, because you will have all these moments back that you didn't have before. Good luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 4:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009