My Toddler won't eat much!

Our little girl is 18months old & she will only eat certain foods now. Eggs, Cheese, Bread, Grilled-Cheese's, Hamburgers, Fruit, Crackers. She use to love mashed potatoes and now she won't even eat them. She won't touch Vegetables. She smacks them off of the fork, so I've been giving her Harvest Juice with the Veggies & Fruit in it. Anybody else going through this????

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 2:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they go through aloyt of phases be persistant and get creative like carrots in mac n cheese and so forth
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's normal. All of mine are like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My son is 2 and does this. He goes through stages where he only eats certain things, for a while it was all about hot dogs and corn, then chicken nuggets, pancakes, eggs.. stuff like that, for the past month it was peanut butter and jelly raisin toast - every once in a while he will throw us for a loop - I still offer what we make for dinner but if he doesn't eat what I make, he doesn't get a special dinner and he's fine with that apaprently..lol!~! Peds will tell you that kids don't over eat ( most of the time) like adults do, they won't starve themselves either. It bothers me but I just offer lots of snacks he likes.. apples, grapes.. he liked juiced carrot/apple juice!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My DS is 26 months and is very picky eater. I mix veggies in all of his food. Carrots in the Applesauce. Peas in Spag Sauce. He eats alot of Chicken Nuggets, Fish Sticks, Mac-n-cheese w/ Carrots, Grilled Cheeses w/ Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Pot. Fries, Peanut Butter sandwiches, Etc.

I was really worried a while ago about his eating until I met a boy that eats nothing but cereal, cookies, & $75 a month vitamins.

Now I just keep offering the healthy things. We have a rule that he has to try our dinner if he doesn't like it he has to get down and he can have Oatmeal before bedr.
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2009