Is it ok to baptize a child twice? (once in a Methodist church and once in a Congregational Church)

My family lives in CT and i live in PA. I also have family here in PA. I want everyone to be able to share in this special ceremony, however everyone is not physically able to attend on opposite sides. I had the idea of doing it twice, but am unsure as to what the rules are on this. I know Catholics won't allow for it but this is Methodist and Congregational, not sure if that makes a difference?

KKline

Asked by KKline at 2:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why wouldn't it be okay? A double dose of spiritual blessing? I don't see the problem! ;)
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 3:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• hmm, well personally I don't baptise my children because I don't believe it has the power to save them, but I do beleive in baby dedications because it the parents coming forth to promise to bring up their children in a godly way and it allows the congregation to pray over the family. Do you have reasons why you are baptising? I wouild make my decision based on the reason its being done,
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• /I wanted to clarify... I don't believe that babies have can decide for themselves whether or not they will follow Jesus froim birth, and that baptism should be saved once a person has commited their life to Christ, which babies are not capable of because they do not yet have the understanding, and their parents cannot make that decision for them.,... that it my understanding of baptism.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• No, wait till the kid is old enough to decide for him/herself.
    Anonymous

• You are having it done in two religions to please two parts of your family? Talk to the ministers and be upfront and tell them of the other ceremonies.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I'm sure you can but what would be the purpose?

Answer by admckenzie at 6:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• First of all... is the Methodist church baptizing or are they sprinkling? This is the standard procedure in most all Methodist churches I know of! (While I will admit I am NOT a Methodist expert by any means!!!)
    Secondly, how old is the child in question? Are they of the age of accountability? By that, I mean do they comprehend the crucifiction of Christ Jesus, the resurrection, and the rule as Lord and King now in His hand? IF so, then you should baptize the child where ever you decide to do it.
    I personally would only do it one time. To do it twice could prove confusing to the child... as if to imply once wasn't enough! We are initially saved through acceptance of salvation and honor it respectively with one water baptism. After that we are required to fall before the foot of the cross in humble repentance... not be baptized again.
    You are the mother... you do what you feel led and comfortable to do. God bless you & child.
    LoveWiseCouncel

Answer by LoveWiseCouncel at 6:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think you are right... i'm not Methodist either, i don't know much about their traditions hence asking lol, i am congregational. My husband is Methodist. I heard something about the "sprinkling" but was under the impression its the same thing? The child isn't even born yet, she will be born in 3 weeks. I come from a line of people who let the child make their own decisions at a later age. When i got my confirmation i was taught about many many religions, and was told to make my own choice. The question isn't wither she should be baptized, its wither it is alright to do it twice so that family who can't travel can share in the special occasion. I respect all of your views, i just simply don't share in them.
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 11:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• You might want to talk to the preachers at both congregations because they might not recognize baptism of another denomination. I know a baptized Catholic who converted to the Methodist church and she needed to be re-baptized, but if a Methodist wants to convert to the Catholic church, they do not need to be re-baptized. I don't know how Congregational and Methodists feel about each other. If they both accept one baptism, then can you have some sort of other "welcoming" or "christening" ceremony that is not necessarily a baptism?
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Thank you for your advice and not trying to change my mind about doing it. That is good to know, I could only find answers so far on catholics, that is interesting on how the Methodists wanted it again.. that might work in our favor lol. I sent an e-mail to my minister yesterday, haven't heard back yet.. see what he says.
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 12:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2009