Planning a baby around finances?

My husband and I are going to start TTC in March, because that would put the EDD after his next raise. This would enable us to get a new car and still maintain our current lifestyle.

I have talked to a few other couples, and they think that is crazy to wait. ( I was ready for another baby a year ago, but I wanted to wait until we were making at least 85k without overtime )

Do you think it is wise to wait until you are financially comfortable or should you just have the baby when you want and try to make things work once they are here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you are more sensible than your friends give you credit for. If you have the option, you have to plan well before you start trying for a baby (unless your biological clock is ticking away). We waited 4 years after marriage to start trying since I wanted to finish my masters degree and get a good job and my husband wanted to advance his career as well. Even after I got job, I waited a year so I will have maternity benefits and it also gave us some time to enjoy the income just for the two of us...We planned it well and now we both have very good incomes and good finances. We can afford a lot of good stuff for our 3 yr old and our 2nd baby is coming soon...
    Anonymous

• I have two children (an 8 year old and a 3 month old). My boyfriend makes around 30k a year and we do okay. We certainly aren't rich, but we eat well and all of our bills get paid. We wanted our 3 month old and he was very much planned, and now that he is here he has everything he could possibly need or want as does the 8 year old. I think it all depends on personal preferences. Waiting until March is not very long either though, so if that's what you are comfortable with, I say wait it out.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 3:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think you're right to wait, why would you want the added stress of finances while you're prego?
    Anonymous

• i don't see a problem with waiting but i also think you have plenty of money now. it's all what you want. don't worry about your friends' opinions
    Anonymous

• It is a good idea. BUT, you can not predict the future. You are doing good now. But what happens if/when he gets laid off.  Do you all have money saved. Or are you living paycheck to paycheck.  You have to raise that child for at least 18 years. Are you ready for 18 years of  financial responsibility?

Answer by louise2 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• ya we are plannin out 3rd..but i have been puttin up 100 a month to save up so we can afford to buy diapers and formula.. so we are making sure by june when we start trying that we will be financially able to have a child and support the family on our pay..plus we went ahead and when we had to redo our insurance because the job was changing my huby went ahead and got me the maternity insurance so whenwe were ready to try we had it..i was so excited he thought of me i bout cried...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• In my husband's line of work, they don't do lay offs. We have a decent savings. I just wanted to see some other opinions, because our friends thought it was strange to plan a baby around a raise.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's strange. It depends on where you live if 85k is alot of money. Where I come from that's basically average, but in other areas of the country you are rich(depending on the housing). Wait it out and then try when you feel ready.
    Anonymous