Ever make homemade marshmallows?

Have a link to your favorite recipe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not in a very, very long time..the resipe is in my old red and white Better Homes and Garden cookbook.. This one I found by Alton Brown is almost identical to the one in my book.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• They are a lot of work...

3 envelopes of un-flavored gelatin
    1/2 cup cold water
    2 cups sugar
    2/3 cups corn syrup
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    In the bowl of an electric mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Soak for approx 10 minutes. Combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute. (or to firm ball on a candy thermometer 244 degrees) Pour boiling syrup into gelatin and mix at high speed (I prefer to use the whip attachment to my mixer). Add the salt and beat for 12 minutes. Add vanilla and incorporate into mixture. Scrape into a 9 x 9-inch oiled pan and spread evenly. (Note: Lightly oil hands and spatula or bowl scraper). After pouring marshmallow mixture into the pan, press mixture into the pan. (use your oiled hands)Lett mixture sit for a few hours, or overnight.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Remove from pan, dredge the marshmallow slab in powdered sugar and cut into equal pieces with scissors coated with powdered sugar (they work best!!) or a knife.

Toss each piece of marshmallow in confectioners' sugar to coat well. Store in a zippered plastic baggie or air tight container

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Can I make it without a candy thermometer?
    Anonymous

• I never heard of such a thing! Too cool!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• a candy thermometer really is crucial unless you're an expert at the cold water testing method(which no one is) They are inexpensive. Usually under 5 bucks.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009