What to do in an Earthquake?

I just saw on the news here that baja cali had a 5.8 quake this morning followed by 4.9 and 4.0 aftershocks respectively. I didn't feel it here in Vegas, however a friend of mine works out here and was on the 12th floor and they felt it there. I have a couple of questions, first of all the closer to the ground you are, shouldn't you feel it more? Secondly, when an earthquake hits what do you do? I honestly don't know. I always thought you were suppose to stand in a doorway, but i read that it's not safe because doors can swing. I found tons of links on emergency preparedness/earthquake readiness, but no links on what the heck you are suppose to do to be safe.

So if anyone can help me out here, I'd just like to be prepared as I know we can get them too. I was looking at the geological EQ map and most of califiornia was lit up in blue/yellow and red boxes like 4th of july fireworks...kinda scary if you ask me.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 4:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• * DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON on until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
    * Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
    * Stay in bed if you are there when the earthquake strikes. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
    * Use a doorway for shelter only if it is in close proximity to you and if you know it is a strongly supported, loadbearing doorway.

Answer by Bmat at 4:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Oh well a doorway, bathtub or under a desk (presumabley so stuff doesn't fall on you). I've also heard you can run outside as long as you'd be clear of falling trees and power lines. I'm not sure but we had one in Seattle and I was on the 23rd floor of a building and it was terrifying. A real feeling of helplessness. My friend ran for a desk and low and behold, a lawyer was already there!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• # Stay inside until shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.
    # Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
    # DO NOT use the elevators.

Answer by Bmat at 4:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If outdoors

* Stay there.
    * Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.
    * Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops. The greatest danger exists directly outside buildings, at exits, and alongside exterior walls. Many of the 120 fatalities from the 1933 Long Beach earthquake occurred when people ran outside of buildings only to be killed by falling debris from collapsing walls. Ground movement during an earthquake is seldom the direct cause of death or injury. Most earthquake-related casualties result from collapsing walls, flying glass, and falling objects.

• The above is from http://www.fema.gov/hazard/earthquake/eq_during.shtm
    and there is more information, too.

Answer by Bmat at 4:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thank you very much ! :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2009