Do you think people who get government help do not work?

I was just wondering how many women on here think EVERYONE that gets government help doesn't work. My husband works a full time job and gets paid $11.50 an hour and we get help because of the city we live in. $11.50 is NOT a lot here. We get food stamps and housing help and my son is on medicaid. But if we could all eat and have a roof over our heads I would get off it in a heart beat. I've heard so many women on here bashing people who get help, saying they don't work. Well what do you have to say to people who DO work and still aren't making ends meet? Our economy sucks, especially for a young family

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm with you op my hubby and I both work full time and quite often overtime and we still need help from the state. We have medicaid for ds. Our employers healthcare plans for families is outrageous but we do have it for ourselves. If we had ds on either one of our policies (have separate policies because its cheaper)we would need A LOT more help from the gov't than just medicaid. But my point is no I don't think that ALL people who get help don't work but there are some out there that don't.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I say, "Good for your husband working" and I'm glad you have public assistance in your time of need. Unfortunately one bad apple can spoil the batch. I have a family member who does nothing but sit at home on her lazy @$$ and gets food stamps. She is the type of person who makes people mad about PA.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I don't think that. DH and I both work f/t and we have 2 kids. We get very little food stamps but still get them, daycare assistance and are seeing if we qualify for medical assistance. We are a young family and trying to do our best to make ends meet.
    Anonymous

• Ditto to PP. You are the kind of people government assistance SHOULD be for, because you need it and you want to be independant from it when you can. I think there should be a more rigorous screening process for welfare assistance. I don't think it's fair that a worker who has to take regular drug tests has to give part of his check to someone who doesn't.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Most people who bash are people who don't know what they are talking about. I lost my job in my 7th month of pregnancy. I have been unemployed but a full time student for almost two years. Just got food stamps like a month ago and I live in income based housing. There are some lazy people out there who use their free time looking for extra help. I'm doing what I have to do to support my child and myself.

My uncle sent me a text that reads: Since people who work and pay taxes have to be drug tested to get a job then those who do not work should get drug tests in order to receive assistance. I so agree. I'm drug free and unemployed but they take taxes out of unemployment checks as well.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 4:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I've always thought that people on government assistance ought to be drug tested to get it. Just the money the government would save on the bulls*** payments they make to addicts would more than cover the cost of the testing, I think. I have a family member who sits on her butt all day, selling pot with her (also unemployed) boyfriend, while they live with her father and let her stepmother take care of their daughter, who is on medicaid. They get WIC and foodstamps, and have absolutely no intention of ever looking for work until they absolutely have to. And her father lives off of unemployment b/c he is with a union that pays a lot for that. He doesn't even plan to look for work anytime soon, either. They all sit around and smoke pot and do nothing all day. THOSE are the types of people that ruin PA for everyone else.
    Anonymous

• You could work nights opposite your husband then you wouldn't need assistance. I don't think a family should get any help unless both are working and trying. We waited until we could afford our family to have one. We are planners and have never struggled because of that. My husband lost his job when his company closed its doors and we are still fine we have saved the last 20 years and will live just fine until his starts his new job in a couple weeks. I grew up poor with parents who worked the easiest job they could with little pay so they could collect free money. It was not a great existance and I knew my kids would never grow up that way and they haven't. They have a great work ethic and will never be leeches.
    Anonymous

• No. I know that many people who receive assistance do work.

However. I do think their personal choices do/have played a part in their need for assistance.  We all have choices when it comes to education, career paths, ect....... Ther are those who receive assistance, who choose not to continue their education or work in a career field that pays a living wage (a wage that can fully support whatever size family they choose to have).

I'm a firm believe in the "system" returing to it's original intentions. Elderly, disabled, emergency situations.. Not as a means to supplement someone's income.

EnigmaMuse

Answer by EnigmaMuse at 5:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• More than half of Walmart's employees receive some form of public assistance. Many people can't make it on their own. We need living wage laws in the country.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I dont think that. But there are many out there that abuse the system that knid of sour everyones opinion.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2009