How soon after birth did you get the copper IUD?

I think this may be my last baby but am not willing to commit to that. I am so over hormones (i.e. birth control pills). I am very interested in t getting the copper IUD. I asked my doc when they put it in after birth, and he said a few months. But everything I am reading about it says you can put it in after you deliver the placenta up to 48 hours after birth, or if you miss that window, as soon as 4-6 weeks pp. What is your experience and do you like it?

MamaJAG

Asked by MamaJAG at 4:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Health

• Personally I was nursing so I didn't worry about it until about 4 months PP. The literature does say within 48 hours, but any time after that is fine too. If you are having a period the literature recommends it while menstruating, if not then whenever and that is what I did since my periods do not return until about 14 months while nursing. I absolutely love it and my baby is now 29 months old. Some docs are differ from the literature on what they prefer and recommend.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My doc recommended it to be done at my 6 week pp appt.
    Anonymous

• I got it done at my 6 week. Personally, I wouldn't want it in before then. You are supposed to wait 6 weeks for sex either way.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009