Did you breastfeed? Do you have metal fillings?

I read some random article that claims the mercury gets into the milk so now I am worried that I have harmed my kiddos!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• ridiculous....

and no i did not breastfeed, & yes i have tons of metal fillings.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes, I breastfeed. No, I don't have metal fillings. This is from Kellymom.com -

"A German study (Drexler 1998) found that during the first week after birth, the amount of mercury in the study mothers' milk was associated with the number of amalgam ("silver") dental fillings; at two months, the amount of mercury in breastmilk was much lower and associated with the mothers' fish consumption (rather than the number of amalgam fillings). These authors concluded that "the additional exposure to mercury of breast-fed babies from maternal amalgam fillings is of minor importance compared to maternal fish consumption." "

I wouldn't worry too much about your metal fillings.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thanks, I saw that article on Kelly mom I was just wanting to hear others breastfed with fillings thats all :) For some reason those bad articles stick in your mind LOL!
    Anonymous

• I did not see that article but IMHO, there can't possibly be enough amalgam in fillings to do any damage through breastmilk. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• I did a bit with my children and I have one filling.

Never had issues cuz of that particular issue and the drs never said anything about it being an issue.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2009