Would you go back to the doctor or get a new one?

I'm between a rock and a hard place. Last month DS2 got the H1N1 vax without my consent. I made my wishes clear to my doctor that I did not want the H1N1 and we moved on to influenze, which he talked me in to. I was lied to when I was signing the consent papers that the extra blank for the flu section was for the booster when it in fact was the H1N1. Hindsight is 20/20 and it all makes sense now. Anyway... to the current problem. I picked out another doctor, went in and filled out all the new patient info and provided my insurance so that when the time came to see the doctor I didn't have to do all the crap with my 2 year old and 6 month old. To today... I call the new doctor to make an appointment because my kids have had cold symptoms for over a week and snot is turning green, so I want to make sure there are no ear or sinus infections. I call. The doctor can't even see them as "new patients" until 1/14/10.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go back to the first doc, and make sure you tell him how you feel
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 5:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• [OP] The nurse practitioner refuses to see them as "new patients" until next Tuesday (1/5/10). To add to my issues, the receptionist on the phone was a huge bitch. While she was talking to me she said that the doctor is the busiest doctor at the clinic and is always overbooked. Now, I knew beforehand that this particular practice in town has ridiculous wait times, but I was willing to deal with it in order to get a different doctor. There are only three practices in my town, the third of which my children will go to over my dead body. The only real issue I had with the old doctor was the one incident otherwise he has been a really great doctor and took care of both of my sons in the NICU; so he's been their doctor since the beginning. I did not talk to the doctor after the incident with the vax too see if there was some confusion because I am the type of person that loses my temper in 0 seconds flat when someone ...
    Anonymous

• [OP] has gone against my wishes. And let me tell you, when I left that office I had smoke rolling out of my ears. I'm really on the fence here as to what I should do, so I would like an outside opinion. Do I go to the doctor who it seems like is not going to be able to see my children when they become sick? Or do I go back to the doctor who besides the one snafu has been great? What would you do?
    Anonymous

• FIrst, I might not take my kid to the doctor for the cold symptoms you're talking about, that's just me. I'm into the home remedy stuff. I think if I were you i'd go back to the first doctor and talk to him. Better to risk losing your temper with him if he deserves it, if there's a chance the fault wasn't his. If it was, MAN, that is worth a lawsuit!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• [OP] Adelicious: Usually I'm not one to jump; however, my 2 year old has had recurring ear infections for the past 2-3 months that are starting to impact his speech due to ear damage. His doctor said if he got another one in (I can't remember what time frame) they would look at tubes as an option. He never shows any signs or acts like his ears hurt... it just seems to happen every time he gets a cold (which is frequently since starting daycare 3-4 months ago).
    Anonymous

• I would not see your first Dr anymore. but I would also let them know why you are leaving. They have not right and can not do what they did. That is wrong and they should know that you are upset.
    Anonymous

• Stop trying to use a pediatrician. Find a nice family practioner for your whole family's medical needs.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Dont you read the inserts before your child gets vaccinated?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• [OP] Rkoloms: There are three practices in my town. The one I was going to is an 18 and under only clinic, the one I may be switching to is a family practioner, and the one I will never take my kids (or myself) to is a family practice as well.
    Anonymous

• If it is that bad (and i know kids colds can quickly turn worse) I would perhaps use the minor emergency clinic at your local hospital and tell them you did try the Dr but due to the holidays they couldn't get you in until mid jan. I struggle with this stuff too and wonder if we live in the same town. I have finally done as rkloms said and brought my tweenagers into a family practice instead of using a pediatrician. Good Luck and I sincerely hope it gets better for you......Julie
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 6:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2009