How do you manage anxiety?

Hi. I have been having panic attacks recently. I've always dealt with depression, but anxiety is new to me. I was going to a therapist for 2 months, now I cannot due to transportation. I talk to friends and do breathing exercises to minimize it. Sometimes I cannot manage the intensity of overwhelming fellings. What methods work for you? Any good medications? I used to take antidepressants, but made my symptoms worse. I need advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Health

• I've started doing stretches and exercises along with breathing techniques. I also try to stay away from things I know will trigger my anxiety. Try to focus on something like they tell you to do during labor. Focus on something in the room and stay focused on it until things subside (plant, picture, candle, whatever is around).

Answer by admckenzie at 5:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Klonopin .5mg split in half.. take half in a.m. other half in p.m.
    Anonymous

• Deal with your issues, if you can't afford counseling, vent to your friends, if you don't have friends you feel comfortable venting to, find some here...if you keep stuff in it can overwhelm you...sometimes just talking stuff out is enough to alleviate the anxiety. Drugs don't solve problems. I have ptsd and refuse to take them...my counselor has tried to teach me breathing exercises and it isn't something I've been able to master. I have kept issues in the denial bin for yrs. and used to go on crying binges that would last for weeks...she's trying to teach me to deal with my emotions as they arise...sometimes it really does help to have someone to just listen...not offer advice, not feel sorry for you, just to simply understand...there are a lot of support groups here, find one and join in~!
    Anonymous

• Diet.

No stimulants, no caffeine, no chocolate, no refined sugar, no gluten, no artificial crap, no food dye, no preservatives... all natural, mostly organic.

Anxiety has a biological component. Restoring the body to its optimum health is crucial.

Exercise.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Therapy.

There is a fantastic book by Clair Weeks called No More Panic; you should be able to find it at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• klonopin :) but it is highly addictive. If you are afflicted horribly where it is crippling your life, it will give it back to you. It did for me only now I am detoxing after several years of having it prescribed due to pregnancy and withdrawal is very scary even when slowly tapering off, it is a HUGE decision to make but klonopin can give you back what your condition steals from you. If you have been dealing with it for weeks or months and it won't go away that is when you want to turn to the drugs and see a psychiatrist because it can cause detriment to your health ie: high blood pressure
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 6:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I am following this discussion also. I have the same issues. I wake up at night in panic attacks. I try to deal with the issues. (Money, kids, alcoholic husband) but am really struggling with anxiety and major health issues. I don't know what to do either. I can't take yet another med. I can't afford the ones I am on!
    Thanks, didn't mean to hijack the question. Anything helps, thank you all for your answers. (I am not the op, but you have helped me.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Hi I too suffer from sever anxity,One reason I am up right now earlier I was just fine then I just started feeling panicy my chest got an air bubble in it most likely acid reflux from the pizza last nite,then i thought omg i cant breath,Yes I know what you are going thru I have no insureance or a DR atm so I have to deal with them on my own as well Sadly I cannot control mine,Mine are to the point its affecting my daily life.I need help But have no money no job no car and im in debt up to my ears and im 20 years old.I really hope you can find comfort in someone here there are ALOT of really sweet people on this site that love to listen,Feel free to message me if you ever need anyone to talk too,I wish you well.
    AmberDawn2009

Answer by AmberDawn2009 at 6:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2010