Eating

Okay I cook just a few times a week. I usually make fairly large amounts of whatever and we eat it for 2-3 days. I use our crock pot and make casseroles. I was wondering if other people have problems getting their kids to eat the same thing 2-3 days in a row? My LO (18 mos) doesn't seem to want to eat her dinner tonight and it is the 3rd day of lunch and dinner being the same. I don't mind eating it, and I have been told by people that kids don't have a sense of time and they will eat whatever. Just curious if others experience this?

coala

Asked by coala at 5:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Instead of serving the same foods several times in a row, why not freeze the leftovers?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Well whoever said kids don't have a sense of time is lying I can assure you they do. But we don't eat leftovers in my house normally because I don't cook them so like this christmas obviously we had a bit of food left over so I thought I might as well heat them up the next day for dinner since I was sick anyways my son wouldn't touch it. She might just be getting tired of eating the same thing over and over again. You eat it for lunch AND dinner two or three days in a row? Me personally I wouldn't want to do that ever.
    Anonymous

• Eh, my kids don't like left overs after the second day so I think they know. I would suggest, as the first poster did that you make plenty and freeze so you can mix it up while still only cooking a few nights a week. Also never underestimate the power of roasted meats. You can throw a roast in the crock pot and have roast on night one. Sandwiches for lunch make soup for dinner(throw it in a pot of broth and veggies) and still have some for shepherds pie(use instant potatoes and frozen peas/carrots assembled in 10 min.) the next night. So you cook one but kind of mix it up the other nights. Same with turkey(sandwiches, quesdillas, bbq...) or pork (sandwiches, quick fried rice even pizza...)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• my son doesnt like having the same thing over and over
    i wouldnt want to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner 3 days in a row either
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Kids do have a great memory. After the second or third day of having the same thing for lunch and dinner I would be tired of it too. Maybe switch it up, give it once a day instead of twice.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I myself do not like leftovers . My older daughter she is seven does not like them either. I made a whole chicken Monday, yesterday we had barbecue chicken sandwiches, today it was chicken and cheese soft tacos. tomorrow we are making home made pizza, Friday its home made chicken noodle soup.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 8:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My kids have gotten like that over the years. I cook the same way my parents do...enough for 2 nights (sometimes more depending on how much we eat) but my kids rarely eat left overs, especially the older 2 girls (who are 9 and 7). Even when it's something they really love. There is nothing wrong with eating leftovers. I refuse to cook every night so they either eat leftovers or they fend for themselves which usually means PB&J (that they could eat 3 times a day every day and never complain). Sometimes they eat the leftovers or go without because I get sick of cooking and no on eating anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2009