Spin off: Use of the "retard"

Last night on the c section post several women thought it was acceptable to use the word "retard". They clearly stated that the use of the word is not offensive. How do you feel about this?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• if you look the word up in the dictionary it states that it can be offensive. I admit that i use it..but only around people i know wont be offended by it and only in fun
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Hmm... what are they referring to? If they're referring to someone who's actually developmentally disabled, no, I think that's totally inappropriate. But I call myself a retard all the time! LOL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I use to not be offended by this word. I guess I never really thought about. WhenI was pregnant we though my daughter was really going to be mentally retarded. That changed my whole view on the word. To each their own. This is my experience.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 6:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• ill use it once in a while but thats only to call myself it. if someone was to use it talking about a mentally disabled person and making fun of that particular person, i wouldnt find it funny at all.

i once was describing the place where my sis worked and i decribed it "mentally retarted" people, it wasnt a good idea so the person caught me and corrected me but the things that fly out of my mouth like that arent meant to be offensive.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Of all the words in the English language, to use the word "retard" to describe yourself as being "stupid" or "goofy" is pretty low class, and make you look uneducated, insensitive, selfish or any combination thereof. Regardless of what you meant by using that word, it will ensure that I wouldn't continue further discussion/relationship with you. Maybe if you were directly affected by such a remark, you would think differently. I hope your little Einsteins make you proud.
    Anonymous

• I don't personally use the word...and it feels wrong to hear other people say it, so I just ask people not to use it in front of me. For the most part, people are really respectful of my request.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 6:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I tried to send you the link from this morning on this one. I guess I failed. It ran about 75% against the word and 25% thought it was OK. It got very interesting when one anti Mom called one Pro Mom fat. She got angry as did some other pro its OK to use retard Moms. I thought it was just really strange that calling someone a retard or using the word retard is OK, but not the word fat. The usual suspects showed up and it got totally out of hand, so I closed the question.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think that it is acceptable to some but in general it offends but everyone is different. While some think it's not a big deal, others may be infuriated by hearing it. I use the word (probably more than I should) but it's all in fun and games. If someone didn't like that I used that word then I would respect that and not use it around them.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Hey wildboyz,

I didn't see it posted so I decided to post it again. Thanks for the update though.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

Oh yea, that was me that was called fat. I know I'm not fat but I thought it interesting that she was so against using the word "retard" because others found it offensive, but it was alright to call one fat, which is also offensive to some.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2009