What should I do about my 3-month-old "biting" (clamping down) while nursing?

He just started doing this, and while it's uncomfortable, it's not intolerable. I'd just like to stop him before he gets teeth! Today I just said "no" and pulled him off, and he cried like his feelings were hurt. It broke my heart!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 5:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is the best thing you can do. Tell him no firmly and pop him off the boobie. Surprisingly, when they get teeth they arent too bad! I nursed until my son was 15 months...he occasionally got excited and bit me but mostly it was accident. just gotta follow through.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Bugsmommy is exactly correct. This is your first discipline issue, so be sure to be consistent.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• You're doing the right thing (though I know the cry you're talking about, it's heartbreaking!). Be consistent, and he may still do it occasionally, but with a little reminding, he will break the habit. He may go back to it when his teeth are breaking through, just a warning, and keep doing what you are doing if he does. Every now and then, when my son was younger, he would look at me a sslllooowwwlllyy clamp down his teeth. Ooh, I took that nipple right out of there! Do an exaggerated "OW!" to let him know he is hurting you, too.
    When pulling off, stick your finger in the corner of his mouth to break the seal, or your nipples will get REALLY sore, and you can do some damage pulling him off without breaking the seal.
    My son is 16 months now, and sometimes, his teeth still get in there, so I still have to do this here and there, but it's pretty few and far between now.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2009