Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to tell husband

i've had problems with depression in the past. And since I've had our daughter 4mos ago I'm having them again. I would like to tell my husband, but I'm afraid he'll be worried and super over protective. He's been down this road with me before. And sometimes he smothers me with attention when I'm having a bad time. Any ideas how to tell him?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Health

Answers (7)
  • Just tell him that many times after having a baby a woman goes through Post Partum Depression and that you think you may be having episodes of that. It's normal.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • Man I wish my dh ws like that he is the opposite he tells me to suck it up (he's really the cold blooded kind) depending on the situation somehting what u r going through that is nothing :(

    So just tell ur dh to give u some space...idk.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • Be honest...The sooner you tell him, the sooner you can get help. Maybe a family member can stay with you. Please get to the doctor, as soon as possible. good luck I will pray for you.

    Answer by sirrera at 6:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • Be honest with him and tell him exactly what you need and don't need from him.
    Make sure he knows that smothering you and making a huge deal out of it will only make things worse for you.
    Sounds like you've got a good man who cares a bout you. : )

    Answer by Laila-May at 6:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • Given the fact that he smothers you with attention I would tell him outright and go see a counsellor....sounds like he would be supportive....if you don't like the attention, please don't push him away completely...that's quite often when things turn ugly....but do tell him that you just need a certain amount of time to yourself.....I had the unfortunate experience of having my now-ex-hubby threaten to take the children away from me if I ever went through depression....needless to say I saw a counsellor behind his back....and left. I wish you the best....and may I also suggest journalling....journalling did me the world of good ! I got a little book called "Blueprint for Progress" - cost $11 - yes its for people affected by someone else's alcholism, BUT it's not all geared toward can go through the book and answer questions and learn about yourself and it sure clears your head to just be so completely honest.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • He likely has an inkling something is up with you. Just be honest with him and tell him you appreciate his concern and support but you need to work through your issues your way. Good luck. I know depression well and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist.

    It concerns me that your husband has noticed your depression...

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.