How would you teach a 6 yr. old boy how to blow his nose?

I watch this boy once in awhile and lately he has been having this runny nose he does not blow his nose bc he says he does not know how I try to tell him how but he seems to be afraid...I don't know why so therefore he does not try no matter how much I talk to him. He'll have snot running down his nose and I try to catch it when I can with a tissue but I noticed he wipes his nose with his wrist part of his hand and then there's the snot on his wrist/hand gross I wonder how long he's done that to where he could have wiped it on my furniture while I was not looking....What to do?
I like him I just wish he would wipe his nose instead of letting it hang out or wipe with his wrist/hand. Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• give him a straw, tell him to put it in his nose, give him a glass of water, and tell him to blow bubble with his nose. that will give him a good idea of how to do it.
    Anonymous

• Get a bulb syringe and tell him he can either blow it or you'll suck it out with that.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Have you asked his mom about it? Just say, "Hey, Mom, I noticed John has a runny nose, and when I try to assist him with blowing his nose, he's not sure how to go about it." Then ask her what you should do. That way it won't sound like you're blaming her for not teaching him - it will sound like you need her help on how to do it her way.

Anonymous

• Don't encourage the straw thing. He'll be sticking all kinds of things up there. I know.............I tried it with my son, and before I knew it, he would use pencils, crayons, etc to dig around up there.
    Anonymous

• I do NOT recommend the straw idea. He will get the impression that it is ok to stick things up his nose. The best thing to do is to show him how by doing it yourself. I teach preschool and we were talking to the parents about how to teach the kids to blow their noses. It is a challenge though. Most kids just wipes their noses on their sleeves or arms.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2009