How do I get him to stop biting me?

My 15 month old bites me out of frustration when I am busy doing housework and not playing with him. He is very sensitive and sweet and usually very well behaved. It has really gotten out of hand now and any time I do pretty much anything he runs at me crying, grabs me, and bites me very hard. I am covered with bruises now and I have no clue what to do. Is it normal? Is it a phase that will pass? Oh, and I don't spank so that's out please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My suggestion: Every time he bites you give him a firm NO followed by we don't bite! then put him in his room and walk away. At his age it's ok if he comes right out. The important thing is that he associates the act of biting with being put somewhere else. That's all I've got.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I bit back and said that it hurts when we bite Mommy and she hasn't bitten me since, but this starte when she was 10 mos old. It took 2 times for me to figure out the strength needed to get the results I wanted. This also worked with pinching which started for us at 15 mos. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I also bit back, It only took once. They don't know what it feels like. I know it sounds terrible, but you don't have to do it hard. Just a soft bite works. Tell him to bite himself. And say "ouie" don't bite it hurts.
    mommamolly194

Answer by mommamolly194 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Like the previous ladies, I bit my kids back just hard enough to get their attention to the pain. I only had to do that once for each child. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2009