I just saw a question about this & now I'm curious...

It was about when you can switch your child to a different carseat. Well...my son is 6 months old...almost 7 months. He's a big boy. He's just over 20lbs, and he's 26in long. (Mind you...my 2yr old daughter is only 2lbs and 33in long) But he is getting way too big for an infant carseat. We already have a front facing carseat for him, we've had it since before he was born. But we don't have the money to buy a convertable carseat that is rear facing...What am I supposed to do?

michellelee3708

Asked by michellelee3708 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call your doc and ask them
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• When you got the front facing car seat, no where on it says that you can back face it?
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• We got it as a hand me down. So we don't have a box for it or anything...so I'm not sure...but I'll have to look at it and check...
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Most of those seats have a brand name and a model number sticker on them somewhere. After finding those, you can find the company website and probably download the instruction manual.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 6:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I would do what Krysden says. A lot of those sits( not all) you can back face & forward face.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Do you know the name of the seat? Look all over it. If you know the name and model, we can help. Even a picture could help us. If it is truly a FF only seat, you CAN get a RF/FF convertible fairly cheap. Cosco Scenera runs usually under $50, and Rf to 35, but only FF to 40 lbs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• AND if it's been handed down, make sure it's not expired (there should be an exp date somewhere on seat) and make sure it's never been in an accident. The person who gave it to you, do you trust them with your child's life? If yes, and they say the seat is not expired and never been in an accident, then ok. If not, then I would NOT EVER use it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes I trust the people who gave it to me...and I figured it out...it IS a rear facing to 35lbs. Thanks guys!
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• if in doubt take it to the local fire department and they will help you install it properly and tell you if its right. at his weight he is tooooo big for a infant seat. Most only go to 20 lbs.
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 12:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2010