Texting while driving, smoking target of '10 laws

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091230/ap_on_re_us/us_new_laws;

MADISON, Wis. – Texting while driving, smoking in public and cooking with artery-clogging trans fats will be that much harder under a bevy of state laws set to take effect around the country on Friday.

Faced with huge budget shortfalls and little extra money to throw around, state lawmakers exercised their (inexpensive) power to clamp down on impolite, unhealthy and sometimes dangerous behaviors in 2009.

Even toy guns were targeted.

I understand texting laws, you are endangering others. But toy guns and trans-fats?

Is the U.S. going crazy outlawing everything?

MunchMunch

Asked by MunchMunch at 6:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I know we are a country of laws, but this is getting ridiculous. Stay out of my pantry and leave my kid's toys alone.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Holy cow those law makers have way to much free time to make up laws!
    Tat_9280

Answer by Tat_9280 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• with younger and younger kids arrested for violent crime, it's not a bad idea to require toy guns to LOOK like toys. I believe such requirements have been put in place for the sake of cops. they don't want to either shoot an unarmed kid or get shot for hesitating to do so when the kid actually turns out to have a real gun.
    (I don't know whether this is the case here, just giving as example of why it's more valid than it mighy initially appear.

as for transfats, that crap is poison and there's no good use for it in food.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Check out the rest of the article. Lots of stupidity out there.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 7:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• the link didn't work for me.
    ok, got it, had to remove the semicolon at the end.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's nuts! We are getting the no cell phone law. They have also changed our seatbelt law and really messed it up. From what I understand of it anyone under 16 is supposed to be in a child safety seat while in any motorized vehicle in any public driving area. So.....your 16 yr old will now be required to sit in a car seat while riding their motorized scooter even in the parking lot of the grocery store........ It is nuts!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Ugg where are the days of my mother's arm being my only "safety device"....I am kind of joking but for real enough is enough!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes, they are taking this way too far. Before long we will have to register to be able to walk down the sidewalk! I can see a point in most of the new laws, (don't understand why they would bother making laws about this sort of thing, but whatever...) but the one about novelty lighters??? Seriously??? "They're cute, they're little, but they can be deadly," said the Nevada bill's co-sponsor, Assembly Majority Floor Leader John Oceguera, D-Las Vegas. How less deadly is a plain old Bic? We may as well face it, we are becoming a big old nanny state, our lawmakers don't think that we can think for ourselves any more, or take responsibility for what we do, so they must do it for us. That is the bottom line.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I should hope that the day is near when the American people say enough is enough.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Trans -fat is toxic for your body and toy guns are often the reason for police shootings.

Answer by older at 7:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009