Input on CIO please!

I haven't used cio yet, and would rather not. Lately though my 14 month old has been refusing to sleep in his crib and it's almost impossible to nurse him to sleep anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally I think it's cruel and I would never do it and never encouraged my children to do it with my grandchildren. I'd just lay down with him and when he's asleep I'd get up.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have been told that I use CIO. Apperently anyone who let's their baby cry for any period of time (without picking them up) practices CIO. That being said, do what you are comfortable with. Let him cry for 2 minutes or 10 before you go in to calm him down. We would let our son cry for 4 or 5 minutes, go in and pat him on the back and tell him we would be back, leave the room, repeat. I just couldn't let him cry for that long but we needed him to sleep too!! Sometimes we even sat beside his bed and patted him on the back while he cried.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• This is about the age I started sleeping next to my boys. I bought two twin beds and put them next to each other. Box spring and mattress on the floor. Sometimes I would get up and go to my own room (with baby monitor on my bed, so I could hear him cry or crawl over it) or just sleep there all night. I believe as long as everyone sleeps, that is the way to go. CIO was just too hard for me. I put a sound machine in the room so you it muffles the sound of both of you rolling over. It is what worked for me. At about 3 I slowly moved the beds apart.

My kids just didn't like their cribs at about 9 months/
    mommamolly194

Answer by mommamolly194 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I use CIO and I don't think that it is a bad thing. My LO cries when she is going to be but it is more of a whine and it lasts for 10 mins. The she is out. You put them down and then go in and check on them at set intervals until they are out. You pat and comfort, but don't pick up. This teaching them how to self soothe and it is an important life skill. It was really hard when I did this when she was 5 mos old. We CIO for bed after taking away her paci and it was rough. I will say that she goes down w/o a huge fight and it is an amazing thing. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• We used CIO with my son, the Ferber method, and really there wasn't that much crying. We change our bad habits that were preventing him from being a good sleeper and it solved most of the problem right away. With my son he was needing to be rocked and fed to sleep and then would wake 4-5 times/night. We changed out bedtime routine and it only took 3 nights and he would just lay down and go to sleep waking only 1-2 times... after a couple of weeks he was sleeping all on his own.
    In the 3 nights we did CIO he only cried 8 mins TOTAL (5 mins was the most he ever cried at one time). I don't think it was cruel at all... he throws bigger fits over nothing than the amount of time he cried when doing CIO.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• A lot of people think CIO means letting a baby cry themselves to sleep. That's not the case. That is just lazy. IF you do the "proper" method, it starts at 5 mins, then comfort him, you add a min up to an hour. If it doesnt' work that night, you stop and start over the next nght. It's not healthy to let a baby cry themselves to sleep. At that age too, they go through a little rebellious stage. My daughter is 16 months and doesn't fight me at all. She sleeps with us, but I don't haev to "put her to sleep." she does it on her own. She might fuss and cry a little, but she's never left alone to cry herself to sleep. For those people that do practice the "lazy method"...of course it will work, your little one is exhausted. If you cried long enough, you would fall asleep too. OP- the only thing I could say, is be patient, it might be a phase. Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I used CIO with my girls. Ok so some say its cruel...At 12mos I used it to transition them to their own beds. We checl on them every 5-15min. After 3 days they are fine and sleep through the night on their own. My oldest I never used this and still at 2 1/2 he woke like a newborn yet the girls slept great by 13mos! SO call it cruel whatever you want I used it and it WORKED. Do what you are comfortable with.
    Anonymous