Medication For Increasing Milk Supply? Help!

Have any of you ladies ever used a medication to increase milk supply? i have tried fenugreek (for several months), mother's milk tea, i drink 64 ounces of water or more every day, i get plenty of sleep and i feel great...i just don't have enough milk for my son...it's a long story but right now i'm only at home for about 12 hours a day...i pump almost every 2-3 hours when i'm gone with a good medela pump...i haven't been home full time in few months and my supply has stayed the same...i have my son at my breast whenever possible...i'm thinking of going to medication...i will only do it as a last resort...please help me

Kimra

Asked by Kimra at 7:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you contacted the Le Leche League and talked with them? They should be in the phone book or have a website. There may even be a CM group here.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have taken the reglan medication and it made me SO tired I couldn't get up for 2 days- i had to take myself off of it- it was crazy! That should be your last resort - I agree with contacting le Leche league or your local hoppitals lactation consultants...
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 7:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I asked a few doctors about that and they were against the idea. They said that sometimes it just works that way.
    bkcm

Answer by bkcm at 7:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Kimra, how are the dipes? That's the ONLY thing that matters. I know we've talked about this before, but I need a refresher. If you're changing enough dipes, then your supply is fine and nothing will really make an impact...hard to improve on perfect, you know? **grin**

What are your low supply symptoms? Remembering that what you pump is always MEANINGLESS.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• What makes you think there is something wrong with your supply? The pump is not nearly as efficient as the baby and never will be. If you want to increase your milk supply for storage then there are things you can do to make pumping more efficient. Such as: Pumping in the morning between 4 and 8am; pumping one side while baby feeds on the other; pumping between feeds; massaging the breast while pumping.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• This is what worked for me:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• assuming you are trying/doing all the right things, here's what i suggest.
    since you have been pumping every 2-3 hours, switch it up. This is what I do, it ALWAYS works. For one day, pump only. do it every 4 hours or so. After 24 hours, go back to every 2-3 hours. The following days will show results, I promise you. I have had to do it around the 2/3 month mark, 5m mark, 8m mark. It will take a few days total, but it works.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• i would even say, go gap them 5 hours. and drink tons of water that day.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My dr. tried me on reglan, but I had too many other issues that is didn't help any.
    Mrs6six

Answer by Mrs6six at 11:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• also, I tried fenugreek and it didn't help me any but like I said, I had other health issues that didn't help.
    Mrs6six

Answer by Mrs6six at 11:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009