Is a prerequisite to be an atheist the bashing of religion?

I was reading through the post about atheist advertising (thats why I am posting here and not in the religion section ) And it seems that all of them felt the need to basically call people who believe in a God idiots. And the "atheists and free thinkers" really? Because if you believe in a God you are a what, not capable of thinking on your own? I have no problem with Atheists promoting their, group I guess, but not at the expense of someone else's beliefs. I mean isnt that what Atheists are mad about in the first place Christians being able to promote their beliefs? And before you say that Christians say you are going to hell...if you dont believe in hell why would that bother you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think all atheists feel this way; but some feel that if you believe in an "invisible man living in the clouds watching your every move" your not quite all there...

I mean to some atheists saying you believe in god and the bible literally is like saying you believe in Unicorns and flying carpets; etc...

Again; not all think this way - but I've heard it said before...
    Anonymous

• There are some non believers yes who consider believers as unintelligent and incapable of thinking for themselves...its likely you will just be mocked for stating so though lol...as some think it simply does not exist.I didnt see all atheists in that post reacting that way but some did...I think for some who react that way it is maybe a bitterness they have because they may of been treated badly (and I dont mean being invited to church lol and such) by some...OR maybe they were at first believers and something happened and they are bitter/angry towards God...there could be any number of reasons...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Well.... I don't think atheists bash Christians, in general. Matter of fact, in general we believe everybody is free to believe what they want to, as long as they don't feel the need to tell US what to believe. Personally, I know I only get pissy with Christians when they speak out of both sides of their mouths. Complaining that they're being discriminated against for not being able to, for example, pray during PUBLIC school hours, but on the other hand getting all upset if other religions (or non-religions) dare to express their opinions. Or the ones who tell me I MUST be immoral, evil etc because I don't believe in God. I don't need some deity to tell me how to live, I have my OWN moral compass, thanks. Oh oh, or when they use God in places he shouldn't be involved in the first place, like saying they don't condone gay marriage because "God forbids it". First off, he didn't, and second, God has no place in CIVIL rights.

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Well, I guess I am the third party in all this. I'm not Atheist, I am very certain of the existence of the Gods. But I am also not Christian, I'm Pagan! And proud of it! Where does that leave me? Well, in the middle. I completely understand why Christians get upset because they feel as if their right to their beliefs is being taken away by Atheist propaganda. However, I also understand the points the Atheists themselves have. From a Political stand point, this country should NOT be based on any ONE religion. Yet, the views and practices of Christians are used to base laws and even calendar holidays. The idea that I, as a non-Christian, have to loose a day of work, simply because of Christmas, but I have to work through my own religious holidays is very upsetting. I believe that politics and religion need to be 100% separate! But I also believe that everyone should have their right to their personal beliefs on private property.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I am a reletavist on religion or lack thereof.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Well the ones who do think like this have to belittle others so they don't second guess themselves. Now not all Atheist are hateful, rude, etc. I know a few very good people who are Atheists. They don't call me a whack job for believing in God and I don't lecture them on why me believing in a higher being comforts me.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Your sort of doing the same thing..assuming all atheist even think about religious beliefs at all and then grouping them to be haters of the faithful. Most people who are atheist never express a religious opinion or lack there of at all.

Anonymous

• Huh? That's like saying it shouldn't bother you if someone called you fat because you don't think you're fat. An insult is an insult. Saying someone is going to hell is meant to be an insult whether they believe in hell or not. For the record, I'm agnostic and I do find many people in all religions to be very "unwise". It's mostly the extremists in any religion that I can't stand.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Anouck said it well..... "I don't think atheists bash Christians, in general. Matter of fact, in general we believe everybody is free to believe what they want to, as long as they don't feel the need to tell US what to believe."
    As an Atheist one thing I cannot stand is someone telling me what I should believe, so I don't tell others they are wrong. Do I think it's a little silly, yeah, but I don't tell them that. We as human beings have the right to believe or not believe in anything we want. If someone wants to worship a saucer of milk, who am I to say it is wrong. A fundamental problem with religion is that they seem to think that their religion is the right one. When there are so many different religions in the world who can say which is right, it is all up to the believer.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 8:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• There are many people of no religion who are also very unwise
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009