What all d you have to go through to be a foster parent?

I'm wanting to be a foster parent. I have a son who's ten and we've talked about this. Can a Single parent be a foster parent? What's the screening process? Anyone have any information?
Thanks in advance

PS I wasn't sure what category to put this in so I put it in adoption

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Adoption

• You have to take a bunch of classes, get a home study, fingerprinted, background check, and a bunch of paper work. My sister and her husband do it. I'm sure that if you have a great home envirionment you can do it even if your single. Good Luck it really is a rewarding thing to do.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If you google "your state" child protective services, it should bring up your state's version of CPS, maybe DHS, DSS, etc. but it will have the guidelines, qualifications, and FAQ's on it. Or you can just call your local CPS and see when classes start. In our state, they offer classes every 3 months. It was a 10-week PRIDE class (some states use MAPP). In my state, you can be single and foster and/or adopt. They will lead you thru the process of physicals, home study, fire and safety inspections, pet vaccinations, fingerprinting, background checks, etc. It took us a while to get licensed, but in the end, was well worth it. Good luck to you.

PS-When choosing the age group you would like to work with, you might specify no one older than your child. Keeps your son in his "birth order". He sounds like a great kid.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes you can foster as a single parent. I did so for 5 years before I remarried. I have to agree with keeping the children younger then your son. He's going to have to give a lot when kids come in the home and unless he specially said he wants and older child let him keep his place.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• BTW, OP, there are many groups on CM that deal with foster parenting if you want to look and see "the life of a foster parent". baconbits is the administrator of a good one and also mommy9 is admin of a good one. Good luck again!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Thank you so much for all the info!!! Me and my son have been talking about this for a while now, I just wasn't sure how to get started. I hear so many foster home horror stories and I wanted to give a kid a happy memory and we have a lot of love to give.
    Another question, Do you have to be in a certain income bracket? I mean we're not rich, but we're not totally poor. I mean, my son gets ARkids part B(I have a co-pay) and we don't get food stamps or anything like that.
    I don't have any problems with a criminal check or anything like that either. I would like to get a foster kid 10 or under(my son will be 11 Feb 21)

Thanks again for the straight answers!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I am nearly ready to begin my journey into fostering for adoption! I am waiting til the beginning of the year (well, it is the beginning- kwim)- it won't be long now til we dive in head first! mY OLDEST SON WILL STAY THE OLDEST, BUT THE OTHER 3 KIDS WILL HAVE "TWINKIES". He will keep his own room and the others will share. we are looking at a sibling group of 3- two more boys and another girl, and we are SSSOOO excited!
    twiliyte

Answer by twiliyte at 8:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• As far as your income you just have to prove that you can provide for your family & the child/children that are placed in your home. There is a monthly stiped that comes with a child but don't expect to get rich from it. (You'll hear that often!) You also have to be able to get them to and from various visitations, dr's, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2010