How to get him to stop

I have a son that just turn 1 a month ago and he still love his pacifier. My husband and I start giving him the pacifier less and less everyday. That still not enough because he will cry and fight us into he get it. How do I get him to stop using the pacifier

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh yes, and as far as the comment above me, in MOST circumstances you are right. I have had six children and never dreamed I would encounter this problem. After a couple of days, they forget all about it. BUT as I found out with Emma, there are some kids that can be downright distructive if you do it that way! Although it is uncommon, I was told that there are lots of kids that have MAJOR trouble letting it go. I took it away for like 2 weeks and everyday, Emma got worse and worse, instead of forgetting and moving on, it's like she dwelled on it. In addition to crying and refusing to sleep, she began biting herself, sometimes leaving open sores! This all came from the same child that got off the bottle overnight at 11 months and never looked back! And is potty trained at 19 months! It is crazy! What it boils down to is sometimes you have to let it ride. Sometimes it goes smoothly after the brief rough patch, but not always!
    eyedoleyes

Answer by eyedoleyes at 8:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Just stop giving it to him. He'll have a few nights of missing it but he'll get over it and will learn to fall asleep without it. Hopefully you're a CIO mom or it'll just be impossible to get rid of.
    Anonymous

• Just take it away. Cold turkey. Let him have his fit.
    Follow through and be consistant with your choice.
    If you give in, he'll do whatever it was he did before to get it back. Over and Over. You'll never win this if you give in.

Just take it away. You're the parent and you know what's good for him, so do what you need to do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Just give it to him at night for sleeping. Eventually he will even learn to fall asleep without it.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2009