Do you think less of people who choose not to marry?

Let's be honest here, answer anon if you must. Do you think less of people that choose to never marry? Does it matter if they have children together? Where do your views come from(religious, values )? Have your views changed because of a situation in your own life?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Not at all. It is a choice and if they choose not to and are happy, who gives a shit? Not me.
    Kids or not. If you don't want to get married, don't.
    My view is not religious or political, just basic human right to choose for themselves.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 8:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have friends who live like they are married, every now and then I'll refer to their SO as their husband or wife. When they correct me I just say its easier then saying the person you have children with/ share finances with/ live with. Call it what you want ...you may not be married but you certainly have a marriage. I don't look down on them, I see them as married anyway.

Anonymous

• no.

Answer by older at 8:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• No. If that is what they feel is best then why should I think less? I may not understand or feel the same but I know that I would not appreciate somebody thinking less of me because I did marry.
    To each their own. You have to do what YOU feel is best in your life. Don't live your life trying to get other peoples approvals.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I don't think less of them, no.
    Is it a choice I want to make... no. Why? Because morally I don't feel comfortable with that.
    My BIL and SIL are "common law married", but they've never gotten a piece of paper stating they are but they're just as devoted to each other as any couple who has those papers and they've been together about 25 or 30 years I think.
    Do I teach my kids that they should be married before living in the same house and having children and sex? Yes, I do but I also tell them that everyone makes choices for themselves and we only have to worry about what we're okay with.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• No I don't think less of them. I don't put much stock in marriage anyway.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• No, I dont think less of them. I think a lot of people probably get married for the wrong reasons anyhow. If I had to go back in time I don't know if I would get married or not. I love my dh of twelve years and I would still be with him if we were not married, but think that we probably got married for the wrong reasons (more to 'legitimize' our relationship than anything else because his parents were so opposed to it) and I sometimes think we would have been just as good if we had stayed common law.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Yes. I think that if you are going to have a committed relationship you should get married. Especially with kids. I don't even agree with couples without kids living together. it is not right in God's eyes, and all I see is a lack of real commitment. You can say I sound like a bad person, judgemental, whatever, but as far as marriage and relationships go, i think sex should be reserved for you MARRIAGE partner, and is meant as a life long commitment (i get if there is abuse or something, other than that, divorce isnt an option. falling "out of love" is a sad excuse.).
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Nope. They don't want to marry. It's their life, not mine. I personally wanted to be married. My life, not theirs.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• nope:) i have been w/ my man for almost 4 years and when i think of marriage i get all sweaty and nervous my belly starts to feel like I'm sick. lol but i do love him to death and i love the relationship that we have, i never want to change it. IF i had to marry or be alone. i would marry him in a heartbeat

_mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 9:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009