How long can you collect unemployment?

I thought it was 6 months, then someone told me 1 year, my mom said 2yrs.

DF wants to go to school while he is laid off but the course is 16 months. His job ends Jan. 26, classes start March...something so that is 18/19 months until he is done then it might take a while to find a job after he is done.

Can't you ask them for extensions on your UE? Like after your first 6 months (or whatever) you call and give them some sort of sob story and they give you another few months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had a friend who was laid off from her job. I am not sure what the program name was, I want to say WIA, but she was able to go back to school for 2 years and she was paid for it. Contact the local Department of labor and they should be able to tell you what services he can apply for.
    Anonymous

• It actually goes by dollar amounts, but works out to about 20 weeks for the initial claim, then there are now 3 extension of I think 12 weeks each. But, you still have to do the work search each week and file the claim each week.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Here it is. It is called Workforce Investment Act- http://www.doleta.gov/programs/general_info.cfm

Anonymous

• Until it runs out or you are unable to reapply due to their requirments to reapply.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2009