can anyone tell me the difference between Roman Catholic and Lutheran?

My dh and I are both roman catholics. We do not agree with many of the things that are taught thru the church. I have heard that Lutherans do some of the common things as catholics do, such as, baptize, communion, etc....but do not have as many of the man made rules and are more accepting... So, we were considering switching, but I don't know much about the beliefs...anyone?

btw, if there is any bashing or trying to tell me I am wrong in any such way, your reply will be ignored. I am looking simply for information, not an argument. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• eye rolling

your question already shows you don't know about your religion.

please don't respond as you are ignoring me

Anonymous

• What an ignorant person you are! How does my question show that I know nothing of my religion. I was brought up roman catholic and went to catholic school. Just because I do not agree with many of the teachings, does not mean I know nothing...obviously this is why I am looking into another religion...

I should have know better to post this question on cafemom, I will most likely only get ignorant replies.
    Anonymous

• I thought you were going to ignore responses like mine? :)
    Anonymous

• My grandmother was a Catholic, I am an atheist who was raised Lutheran. My atheism is no reflection of the church, I actually loved it! I just never felt it- but I digress.
    The Lutheran church does have baptism, communion, confirmation, and several of the rituals. Also, as with the Catholic church you are not restricted to only Sundays to reach your spiritual leader, although it may not be 24-7 as with many Catholic churches. However, it does not have confession, and there is less emphasis on Mary and the Saints. I would recommend you go to a few services and try it out. As with any faith change, you may need to experiment with a few churches before you find a good "home".
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• There are 3 Lutheran Synods... the Myssour Synod IS the most closest to the Catholic beliefs... A LOT of what ea other practices are very, very similar, Myssour tho do not allow women to partake in high rakes of office as I know Catholics don't, there is no crossing of ones' self after prayer and 'Hail Marys" are not spoken...
    I was raised Myssour Synod (now am Wiccan) but dh is still (non practicing) Myssour Synod...
    The other 2 Synods of the Lutheran Church are more easy going... also allows women pastors and women to partake in higher offices including (not all) allowing gay pastors now...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Catholic worship Saints. Lutherans do not.
    Anonymous

• you're not alone, i was raised catholic and left it as an adult. I dont agree with alot of what they teach as well.
    Anonymous

Catholics don't worship saints.  Both Catholics and Lutherans believe in the idea of saints in heaven.  The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS) both have a calendar of saints. (So OP you should be aware that there are different types of Lutheran churches - some more strict than others).

The big difference between the Catholic Church and most other Protestant churches is the idea of "sola scriptura" that the bible is the only source of truth for Christians.  Catholics believe that three things - the bible, Sacred Tradition (the oral teachings passed on by the apostles) and the Magisterium (the teaching authority of the church) all work together to ensure sound doctrine. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Catholics don't worship saints.

IF YOUR PRAYING TO SAINTS, THAT IS A FORM OF WORSHIP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Catholics do not worship saints

but once again our anti Catholic anon rears her ugly head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2009