Which Tea Party are you a member of?

Would a true Tea Party patriot drop nearly $1,600 in donor money for a small meal at a fancy steakhouse? Robin Stublen says no, and he's mad as hell about the profligate expenditures of a GOP political organization that has glommed on to his grassroots movement. Stublen is the organizer of the Punta Gorda, Florida, Tea Party and a member of Tea Party Patriots, a national grassroots organization that has no offices, no president, raises virtually no money, operates largely on volunteer efforts, and, most important, doesn't endorse candidates. But unbeknownst to many, there's another outfit claiming ownership of this conservative movement. It's called the Tea Party Express, and it has dominated Fox News coverage over the past year with its multistate bus tours and political rallies.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2009/12/tempest-tea-party

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• MOTHER JONES?  NOW THAT'S SERIOUS NEWSLOL

Anonymous

• haha anon, so true.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• While Mother Jones has a definite political bias, the guy being profiled has a point. I am not a member of a tea party, but if my grassroots organization was being hijacked by the powers that be that my org is attempting to work against, I would be pissed.

One fact struck me - the Tea Party Express has raised almost 2 mil. Almost 900k has gone to one consulting firm. I wonder if those who donated know that. I will have to look around and see if this can be substantiated.

Any tea party members that can shed a little insight here? They are not my cuppa, but money rolling to the same ol' political machine was not what I thought they were about.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 2:56 AM on Dec. 31, 2009