If you are not religious, what do you teach your kids about people who are?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 8:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That religion is a deeply personal thing, and that everyone must believe and practice what feels right to them. Everyone is entitled to their faith. For some people, it makes them stronger, or helps them try to understand what is beyond knowing and answer questions that can't be answered, and give comfort to things that seem scary. We personally base our beliefs on what seems logical to us, and what is tangible. But we still don't know with 100% certainty we are correct. No one does. So it's not okay to act superior to those who feel differently, and try to be patient with those who are not tolerant towards us.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• That they believe in different things.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I teach them that everyone is different and that they must respect that. They know God isn't real but have no need to burst little Johnny or Suzy's bubble if they believe. My kids are tolerant and good and do their own thing. They also stand up for themselves when they are disrespected or hassled about their non-beliefs. Believe me when I say that the children of NON BELIEVERS get teased and ridiculed a hundred fold over those who do............................
    belladonna777

Answer by belladonna777 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I am not religious, I believe in God...

I had my daughter take some Bible study classes and we pray at dinner and talk about what a christian is and she knows there are other religions and some people that don't believe. She can make up her own mind as she grows, but she does know to respect other people and their beliefs

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I teach them that people have differences of opinion on the matter, and that no one can tel them what to believe, that it's a VERY personal choice. I also tell them it's NOT their place to tell theists' kids that there is no god.

my son's currently a theist . . . he believes in Zeus.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I was just wondering the same thing. I'm more worried about what to say when they come home terrified because some one told them Me or them are going to spend forever in Hell!
    Panopel

Answer by Panopel at 9:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• They know God isn't real but have no need to burst little Johnny or Suzy's bubble if they believe.

That came off as just plain rude and mocking.  Good grief.  They KNOW God isnt real? REALLY?  and why is THAT pray tell?   Because YOU told them so.  Well Christian parents tell THEIR children that God IS real and THEY KNOW IT.  So who is right in that one?  I BELIEVE that there is a God just like you BELIEVE there isnt.  and I teach my children that there are those with different beliefs and that they are to respect them all...and that they are allowed to question. cont

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Cont
    They should be able to hold their belief under questioning. Otherwise they dont really believe and I havent done what consider my job as a parent. My parents never made me attend one church I was allowed to experiment and even to go through a phase of non belief....I found my way back. I will allow my children this same journey so when they CHOOSE to believe it will be wioth THEIR hearts!
    momof030404

• Atheist here I teach my kids that there is not God or higher power and those that believe in one are weak minded and should be avoided.
    Anonymous

• Wow Anon......bet you even consider yourself open minded and such LMAO......if you do you are a MAJOR hypocrite :)

Auto...I went through a Greek/Roman mythology phase.  Very interesting stuff in those stories.  I still have a few Greek/Roman mythology books around the house.  

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2009