A little timid to ask, as this baby is my first - vaginally or c-section?

I (pre-pregnancy) am 107Lbs and am 4'11. Husband is 6'2 220LB. I was adopted & when my parents (adopted) saw me for the first time, I weighed 5 lbs at 2 wks. My baby is now 21 wks and I'm told he's very active and "big" for his age already. They also say he moves alot because I'm "little" and there "not much room" with me being "compact". My hubby was 9 lbs 6 ozs I guess my fear is that I'll have him and he'll get stuck or something, I know that sounds weird, but I am scared. Should I consider C-section? Is it really safer? There are other "little" women out there who've had babies just fine right?

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The doctor should be able to measure your pubic bones and the baby to determine if you will have any problems. You also need to consider things like a massage down there so you won't tear or so the doctor won't have to cut you as much. I really doubt you have a choice in a c section unless there is medical need.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Whoa! C-sections are not safer. That's major surgery.

C-sections are a scientific miracle that help people avoid life threatening situations.

Vaginal delivery is normal and healthy. If you are afraid of pain, science has an anesthesiologist for you. Your body can't make a baby that is too big for it. Doctors say a lot of things to avoid malpractice suits.

See the film "The Business of Being Born" or read birthing stats world wide and compare Europe to the US. Vaginal birth is better across the globe. C-sections are disproportionately high in our country.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Most babies are 'made' to accommodate the mothers size. I wouldn't jump int a c-sec if your doctor has not suggested it. When you get closer to delivery they may do an ultrasound to measure his head and shoulders to make sure he will 'fit' Don't be to worried. My friend who is 5'2'' gave birth to a 10 pound 2 oz baby girl! she almost got stuck. It bruised the babies shoulder a little but she was fine and so was mama. Talk to your doctor about your fears so that they can be prepared to ease your mind or make suggestions for you to consider.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I am 4'10 and when i found out i was preggo i was 96 lbs and when i had my DD i was 128 and she was 6 lbs and 8oz and with my son he was 8 lbs and 11oz I really don't think you have anything to worry about but if you are really worried about it then talk with your doctor and they can tell you if you will have a problem.
    Anonymous

• VAGINAL!

c-section is rarely the safer options. Please read the book "Pushed" or just check out the website http://www.pushedbirth.com/ or the ICAN international website. Or read a book like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. please don't miss out on the awesome birth experience!!!! (beware that an OB measuring your bones cannot really determine if you will be able to birth your baby. you bones move when you are in optimal positions for birthing.)

have confidence in your body!!!!!!!!! and congratulations!!!!!!!!!! =)
    Anonymous

• Your doctor will tell you if there is a problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• "ecodani" why don't you lay off a little your being a bit hash don't you think. Find the heart in your chest and use it she is facing a fear not matter what it is she isn't asking to get bashed on.
    Anonymous

• No one is bashing... pregnancy hormones got you sensitive?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thanks everyone, and yes some midwives have suggested it. I'm a military dependent, and the on post facilities never guarantee you to see the same nurse so every visit I've gotten someone new and they're saying something different. it's been hard to get comfortable in "knowing" someone and another reason I've been a little scared. Thanks though for the advice. vaginally is the way I wanted to go. Just the thought scared me sometimes, but you ladies are probably right about my body not making anything to big it can't push out lol ;) Thanks! Also I was told I did have the option if I didn't want to go through "vaginal" that I could "chose" c-section. Something I was told again by one of those midwives.perhaps I was misinformed.
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• This article is always really encouraging when you worry about things like pelvic size (measuring the pelvis before birth is senseless, since the bones separate and baby's fontanels will change head circumference):

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2009